SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Varianta 37 is a new boattype for sale using the Hanse hull of he proven Hanse 37. We are considering buying it, have seen it inside etc and like the simplicity and stripped version thinking and it is supposedly a really good sailor with focus on performance keeping the inside to a minimum (something that appeals to us simple sailors) yet with three cabins for all our families.

But do anyone of you know about it? Another option is a Beneteau Oceanis 35 or 38 - not because we think it is comparable in sailing ability, but because the Oceanis dealer will take our Luffe 37 in return. we almost bought a Salona 37 but it got sold and now there are only charter boats avalable which we don't think is a great idea.

Would love your opinion.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It has very little storage. In Europe buyers add the cabinetry needed to make the boat practical, but that adds weight that has been stripped out. The Oceanis series has no appeal to me, but I look for performance, not a dock condo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
exactly why we are looking at the varianta. Coming from a luffe it has miles of storage :0) we are simple people and sail more than anything else

what in your opinion has performance in a 37 footer?
we are very much in doubt of oceanis - but the numbers look good
best
ida

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Look for a J37 used, J112E new. C&C 34+ or 37+. If money is not an issue, the X Yachts.
I routinely pass Oceanis series boats in my C&C 35. If you are looking for performance, look elsewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interesting. except i am from denmark så ofcourse know the x-yachts (and they ARE great - only as you say...)

the J what is that boat? and the C? i have gone through tons of boats and i don't know them which is a surprise to me

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
They look really nice and it sounds like some people are buying them and even refitting the interior on them new the way they want them. They say they can put a custom interior for less money than the Hanse. It also sounds like the hull is made a bit more sturdy for the Varianta than Hanse. Nice write up in Sail magazine a month or two ago. Looks like a great value, and new may cost about what a few year old boat might cost.

If they will suit your needs I think you should go for it.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
I read some Euro magazines about the Varianta and it made me think of the way Detroit use to sell cars years ago - base car had nothing and there were thousands of options. Only fleet buyers like taxi companies bought the base cars.

The Varianta sounds like a base car - lot's & lots of money to be spent finishing the outfitting of it to a truly useable condition.

I'd look for something used, in good condition and properly outfitted

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
on the inside of the varianta we do not have a lot of doubts - we love it is so simple and i has everything it needs to sail.
We are simple people. we don't need much on the inside that isn't there. we are looking for how to find a sailing boat and how to evaluate this.

People say the oceanis cant sail but based on what? numbers prove they sail very fast. Look at the hulls of them all and they are so identical it is hard to make a difference.

I cannot find the really right arguments for the new models except that we old sailors love our old boats. wish we could compare on some sort of factual objective level?

I feel they are different when i sail, but not on speed. so does that mean it cant sail?
when it goes through waves great - sails fast - but is very steady and not so lively. feels like a ferry, but it doesnt sail like one in speed.

Hmmm. Wish i could understand techonology wise what we are talking about

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
What numbers are you looking at for the Bene?
Don't forget that all that beam adds drag, plus many have in-mast furlers with poor sail shape and the stock sails are not cut well.

Here are some PHRF ratings:

BENETEAU OCEANIS 321 168
BENETEAU OCEANIS 331 SD 165
BENETEAU OCEANIS 350 WK 162
BENETEAU OCEANIS 351 150
BENETEAU OCEANIS 361 144
BEBETEAU OCEANIS 37 114
BENETEAU OCEANIS 373 126
BENETEAU OCEANIS 373 SD 135
BENETEAU OCEANIS 381 138
BENETEAU OCEANIS 390 132
BENETEAU OCEANIS 390 WK 138
BENETEAU OCEANIS 393 SD 120

J 36 84
J 37 75
J 37 WK 84
J 39 45

HANSE 350/355 138
HANSE 385 99
HANSE 400 72

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
It used to be Oceanis was a good blend of sail gear, comfort, and performance. I'm so disappointed by where Beneteua is taking the Oceanis line. It seems like they're squeezing margin out of it everywhere. Getting rid of travelers, fewer cleats, interiors stripped out of joinery/cabinetry, smaller engines, stern drives instead of straight shafts/props, proprietary port windows/hatches instead of lewmar (try finding replacement parts now), moving shrouds outward (cheaper, rig), eco-materials that really just mean veneers and cheapening ikea interiors.

In some ways, the Oceanis 38 and the VAR 37 are the same design ethos...but you pay almost $75k more for the Oceanis!!!!

Whats weird is the Beneteau First series. To be honest, they have the most comfortable interiors now and have the right sailing gear! My choice would be a First 35 or First 40 now.

Tell me, which one looks like a better cruising boats interior?

Oceanis 38

First40

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
You're not asking the right question.

It should be "Tell me, which one looks like a better dock condo?

Why put a traveller on when the buyers never adjust it? A barney post would be much more appropriate to an Oceanis.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
You're not asking the right question.

It should be "Tell me, which one looks like a better dock condo?

Why put a traveller on when the buyers never adjust it? A barney post would be much more appropriate to an Oceanis.
Lets face it, if someone wants a new boat to cruise, it isn't going to be a bluewater old guard boat like Pacific Seacraft. Its ridiculous how pricey those oldschool hulls now cost new.

Its going to be a Beneteau, Catalina, Hunter, Hanse, VAR.

My point in publishing those pics is look at the difference in stowage between the Oceanis and the First. Increduously, the First seems to have more!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts