SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Maine Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all:

Started doing routine feathering prop maintenance today, and RATS - the grease gun went empty. AB Marine sells Variprop/Variprofile "special" grease for $59 a tube. Isn't that special?! The empty cartridge in my gun was the same stuff (soft white grease made in Germany) - but I'm sure that I didn't pay $59 for it (I've had the prop for 9 years)!

Anybody have any thoughts / experience?

·
Maine Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fast - I think that I'll give the Lubriplate a try. That brand has a pretty good reputation. Not only does AB Marine charge $59/tube for their "special" grease, then they want $22 to ship it! Unbelievable!:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Lubriplate 130-AA has excellent water resistance. PYI doesn't even require annual re-lubes on the MaxProp, it's every other year with 130-AA. In my experience, even that's conservative.

·
Maine Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lubriplate 130-AA has excellent water resistance. PYI doesn't even require annual re-lubes on the MaxProp, it's every other year with 130-AA. In my experience, even that's conservative.
stream: Point well taken but here in Maine I re-grease every fall. The new grease pushes out old grease AND water. Even seawater will freeze when it gets cold enough - and water trapped inside a prop hub . . . you get the picture!:wink

·
Registered
547 Posts
Oh, I'm right there with you. If the boat's out of the water I'm gonna grease the prop even if it was done a week ago. That said, I have let it go two years before and I was very pleased with how much grease was still in the mechanism.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi BELLATRIX1965,

I just wanted to circle back on this post and see if you ended up going with the Lubriplate 130-AA? If so, did you have positive results? I bought a boat last year with a Variprop as well, but the maintenance components (gun, grease, etc.) were not included. I was hoping you may have went with the grease kit that was linked.

Thanks in advance!

·
Maine Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi BELLATRIX1965,

I just wanted to circle back on this post and see if you ended up going with the Lubriplate 130-AA? If so, did you have positive results? I bought a boat last year with a Variprop as well, but the maintenance components (gun, grease, etc.) were not included. I was hoping you may have went with the grease kit that was linked.

Thanks in advance!
Hey iprone:

Yes, I did use the Lubriplate, and am very happy with it. It comes in a tube, so you need the special grease gun pictured in one of the earlier posts - I found one on eBay, I think, and it was under $20. That said, I really like how the tube grease and special gun work - very neat, as that type of grease is really gummy and messy. For your Variprop: check out BoatZincs.com (978-841-9978) - The Online Superstore for Zinc Anodes for a great deal on replacement (OEM) propeller zincs. Enjoy your new boat! OH, and your prop should need a 5mm-.8 grease nipple to apply the grease.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey iprone:

Yes, I did use the Lubriplate, and am very happy with it. It comes in a tube, so you need the special grease gun pictured in one of the earlier posts - I found one on eBay, I think, and it was under $20. That said, I really like how the tube grease and special gun work - very neat, as that type of grease is really gummy and messy. For your Variprop: check out BoatZincs.com (978-841-9978) - The Online Superstore for Zinc Anodes for a great deal on replacement (OEM) propeller zincs. Enjoy your new boat! OH, and your prop should need a 5mm-.8 grease nipple to apply the grease.
Thank you very much for the reply (especially the specs on the grease nipple). I purchased all of the components mentioned, I'm just waiting for it all to arrive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts