SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing some varnishing on my boat. I checked the forecast and the overnight temp was supposed to be above the dew point so I thought I was in the clear. When I got back to the boat this morning I found that I had a lot of "blushing." It was 65 degrees when I started with an overnight low of 57 and a dew point of 51. Humidity was somewhere around 40-50%. My question is, how much time do I need before nightfall to prevent this? It is supposed to be similar conditions tonight.

Also, I have never varnished over blushing before. Do I have to remove all of the last coat or just give it a light sanding?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankfully the sun goes down here around 9:35 so I have plenty of time before dark. I went down last night, did a light sanding and had it varnished by 7:00. Just checked on it at lunch and it looks beautiful! (Well good enough for the girls I date anyway, hahah.) Two more coats and I will call it a wrap.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My next coat will be number 6 (the blushing happened on #4.) I have found that 6 coats is a pretty good amount. I may try an extra one or two though. Can't hurt, might as well finish the can. I also did a test where I sanded between every coat or just sanded before the last coat and there was no difference between the two.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.