SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow I am at a total loss here Guys & Gals. I have a small 22' sail boat and it has what is essentially a lawnmower engine in it.but the thing is I cant get it off the drive shaft. I have unbolted the clutch housing and can twist it. I have unscrewed all of the nuts along the shaft and can move it back and forth for about 6-8 inches. I have removed the cover on the end of the transmission\velvet drive (as I have been told it is called) and only to reveal alot of grease and the shaft going into something that I cant make out really and I do not see any other fasteners.
I do have picts but this doesnt seem to want to let me upload but I wil relink shortly

·
Registered
168 Posts
Borg Warner Velvet Drive manual

I'm having a difficult time following your description. The shaft usually connects to the transmission via a coupling with 4 bolts. It's a flange that you should be able to separate when you remove the bolts.

Did you know that the velvet drive service manual is online? you can download it here free (not my website) http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6mxo8/downloads/Velvet_Drive_Serv_Manual.pdf

That might give you some ideas.

Good Luck,
Chuck

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
the shaft hubs are designed to be a tight fit and as they age they get even tighter! DO NOT hammer or use slide hammers! If you have room to get a puller between the hubs that should work. You can also use spacer that's smaller then the shaft, put between the shafts on the hubs and then long bolts to draw them together forcing the shaft back. If the hub on the trans is not a solid full circle type you may need a plate or bar with holes to match the hub your pulling. what we did on my boat. it's real chore.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sorry about the link. it was broken, I fixed it. Your photos don't look like any velvet drive I've ever seen. What made you think it is a velvet drive? (I have one in my boat, and a spare sitting in my garage.)

Good Luck,
Chuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.