SailNet Community banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The part that baffles me is that you would think there would be all kinds of data from the power boat world. After all, power boats have moved way more than these high speeds for decades,
As far as I know, most high performance power boats of the airborne kind are designed to land stern down on a wave. Power boat sterns are heavily reinforced to support the weight of the engines. As far as I know, the concept of a foil working as a fulcrum about which the bow could be driven into a wave is relatively uncommon on power boats (I don't know of any).

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
What about wave piercing designs? Would that even pertain, since these things are flying above, rather than in, the water? Re-viewing Kevin's description of his sinking, he says the bow planted in a wave and the boat cracked with the bow up 90º. Would a wave-piercing bow have altered that scenario, or simply sent the whole boat underwater?

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,482 Posts
A lot if not most of these boats basically do have wave piercing bows that quickly develop huge amounts of buoyancy perhaps 25% back into the boat.
To me it sounded like the boat was crashing vertically against the face of a wave that hit it rising and from one side. The momentum of the aft part of the boat kept moving forward while the bow was lifting and twisting. Given where the failure occurred, it sounds like there was a major stress riser that was not anticipated by the engineering.

Jeff

·
Administrator
7,401 Posts
The part that baffles me is that you would think there would be all kinds of data from the power boat world. After all, power boats have moved way more than these high speeds for decades,

Jeff
Power boats don't go racing in extreme weather.
These sailboat have had 10,000 nms to find such weather off Cape Town. No powrre boat races ever go anywhere near extreme waves.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Dicac Costa seems to have hit a whale. Luckily for both of them, not going too fast. He reports no damage, though he did slow down to make a complete inspection.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Things are tightening up between the Kerguelen Islands and Australia. Charal is getting ready to pass the tail-enders. Wind is evening out, but catching the lows in sequence is becoming quite a ballet.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,482 Posts
This had been an amazing race near the front with clearly different strategies among the leading boats. I am a little surprised that the speeds have not been much higher for the foilers. I was somewhat expecting 4 hour average speeds in the low 20 knot range out of them. So far i have not seen that.

The other thing that I found surprising is that Fabrice AMEDEO on NEW REST - ART & FENÊTRES retired from the race because his computer died. I get it that someone might retire if they break the boat, But this boat retired because the computer died. Did he drop out because could not see his Facebook feed> Ok seriously, I get it that routing is done on the computer, but the boat still has GPS and the other instruments up and running.

But beyond jostling at the very front, I must admit that I am getting a big kick of Jean Le Cam's performance. But first I must admit that I am rooting for him for personal reasons. As an old man single-hand racing an old Farr, I have to root for the old man single-hand acing an old Farr around the world. ( I think of rooting for the Farr cheering as the home team since the Farr office is here in Annapolis)

But that admitted prejudice aside, I have been really impressed with how well Le Cam has done against the newer foiling boats, I think that he was in 4th place when he changed course and rescued Kevin Escoffier. Then once Escoffier was onboard, he diverted from race course to rendezvous and drop Escoffier at the ship. At that point he was in 9th place.

Since then he has slowly worked his way back to 5th place (being in 4th place earlier in the day,) Its really been unbelievable given that he had been awake for 36 hours straight when he brought Escoffier onboard. I think that a lot of how well he has been holding on seems to do with his weather routing. Somehow he always seems to have a very high VMG relative to his speed.

I saw a discussion that they think that he will be given 180 to 200 nm credit for the time/distance lost during the rescue, That would place him in second place. INCROYABLE!!!!!! Très bon!

Jeff

Reactions: Arcb

·
Super Moderator
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Le Cam is cool.

I can't remember where I read it, but I think I read Le Cam would be credited with time lost for the rescue, which I think was quite a few hours.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,482 Posts
The discussion that I saw suggested that Le Cam lost around a day and that they will credit him for the time lost. But there was more to it than that. When he the SOS reached him, he was riding on a front and moving quite well. The rescue took him out of the system and left him in lighter air after he diverted to meet the French ship. Apparently, the time credit will take into account not only the time that he lost during the rescue and delivery of Escoffier, but also the light air he was in for a while afterward.

Jeff

Reactions: Arcb

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,482 Posts
Why don't we all sail 13,000 miles and have a raft-up?
That 6 boats are that close has been really amazing to me. But so has the light air in the roaring 40's. Maybe they are in the whispering 40's.

·
Registered
23,144 Posts
I watched a few of their update vids. It's far more engaging, when you get those near live feeds, can see the skippers and especially seeing their unusual proximity to others. Noting all this technology and the customized boats, I take it the yacht clubs or other orgs sponsor the investment. Are the skippers paid?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
General thought is that it costs about 5000000 euros to run a 4-year campaign for a Vendée Globe boat. Half that if you buy or charter an existing boat. There has to be a line in there somewhere for salaries, though I couldn't find out how much they were. The weather gurus, routers and media crews are not volunteers either. There's also prize money 800000 euros divided up among the finishers. The winner gets 200000. How much does the winner of the Vendée Globe win? Sponsors feel that they get perhaps 5x as much publicity from the event than it costs them -- a good return on investment that they think outperforms their regular advertising.

·
Registered
23,144 Posts
Sponsors feel that they get perhaps 5x as much publicity from the event than it costs them
That’s interesting. What publicity beyond social media?

·
Super Moderator
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I am sure some of the sailors must own their own boats.

I know Derek Hatfield owned Spirit of Canada and kept it at Bridgview Marina in Sarnia on Lake Huron when I lived there. It was more or less like any other boat there if you didn't know what you were looking at.

I know the 60s are pricier than the older boats, but there are lots of people who have the money and time to have nice racing boats.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
These boats are REALLY nice then. Alex Thomson's Hugo Boss cost almost $8,000,000 and broke - twice- before he could get to Australia. He's had to withdraw. Jérémie Beyou's CHARAL is 18.28 m long with a mast 29m high. She has 600 square meters of downwind sail area to push her 8 ton carbon fiber hull. ; they're purpose-built planing dinghies, built to withstand the Southern Ocean, where lighter conditions than normal are keeping their speeds down to the upper teens right now. Foils (which cost hundreds of thousands of dollars) skim them across the water even faster when conditions are right. Accommodations are minimal for the sole crew aboard. They are nothing "like any other boat there",
Unknown-2.jpeg

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
That’s interesting. What publicity beyond social media?
The Vendée Globe gets major French TV coverage. They routinely have hundreds of thousands of people visiting the boats before the start at Les Sables d’Olonne. Putting a boat like Banque Populaire on your advertising, along with a shot of her skipper, Clarisse Clemer, is better than having your face on a Wheaties box. It promotes the bank, shows you're not afraid of risk, makes you a player in a major French sporting event followed by thousands (The Fédération Française de Voile has about three times as many members as US Sailing does, btw.), that goes on for THREE MONTHS, and supports women (Clarisse), all at the same time. What's to lose?

·
Registered
20 Posts
This race is a big Wow!

Though I am not a follower of NASCAR I can't help but think about how much like this it is when it comes to endurance even though something like Nascar or formula a or Formula 1 last a day or two this thing goes on for well over 40 days and 40 nights but the technology is just as extreme or even more so and all of the challenges are so fascinating things like the design of the boat, the talent and competence of the skipper, the weather forecasting, the routing and above all the determination and endurance of the skipper is unbelievable.
So cool!
I guess there is also the factor of the fabulous Venee coverage with all of the tech and graphics.
Just got to say, I am really enjoying it!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Nothing like 6 knots of breeze in the Roaring Forties to show the impact of climate change, too. How are the guys two depressions back ever going to be able to catch up unless something screwy happens to the leaders in the Atlantic?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Looks like all the leaders got stalled off the coast of Brazil. More mixing it up coming up in the doldrums. Should make for some interesting finishes!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts