Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Bruce-

Here's the photo:

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be that you need the body first ...

Well, Bruce, I see you're not dead yet!

If that's the kind of body you get solo circumnavigating, I'm surprised it's not more popular.
I think that race would be really interesting because changes happen so quickly. They had to fight out of the Bay of Biscay in nasty conditions, but in less than a week they are in the Trades wondering how best to get through the Doldrums. Then it is back into the Trades but with worries about the Southern Ocean and throughout one must be constantly working to keep the boat and its complex equipment operating properly.

Add to this the physical demands of sailing an Open 60. One of the competitors said he had to gybing three times over one night and that each gype takes 2 hours.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I like Sam's attitude. She looks like she's having fun out there so far, but is still remaining competitive, currently in 12th place. In her audio interviews she's joking with the commentator and having a good time. Her crew left pictures of themselves naked ( with strategically placed items) all through her boat that she would find along the way as she did various tasks.

Too bad about Derek Hatfield at the start having to go back for repairs and now is experiencing electrical problems and is having to ultra conserve power.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I don't understand, Only 1 American in the fleet?
Sad state of affairs for US Sailing on the Global sceen.

And yes, I enjoyed the photo of Samantha.
Dee Caffari looks to be a hotie as well.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Tim—

Samantha is cuter than Dee IMHO. :)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Cheers Jim! And thanks for the link. I've been following along for the past few days. The dismasting of Peyron's Gitana was an eye-opener, as are the icebergs they're sailing through, etc. BFS for sure!

And their interactive race map rocks!

Who are you pulling for?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Amazing stuff

Reading Steve's report about spending 5 (?) hours taking down his Code 5 after it got messed up.... 5 hours on one sail... wow

Watching the video of Gitana Eighty right after he dismasted.... he led for a good part of the race, and pushing harder than some thought was a good idea and then dismasting with no apparent reason.

The best part of the racing is the fresh attitude of Sam and Dee. Both, esp. Sam, look as though they're out there to enjoy themselves, as though it were a sunny Sunday afternoon sail, yet both are fairly competitive.

Dee.... Surfer Girl standing on the top of the deck.... "surfing" the waves... too funny

Smack... I'm pulling for anyone that can finish the race. I think if you can finish this one, you're a winner, although I'd like to see Derek Hatfield (CDN) win , he's 22nd right now and 1900 nm behind, so unlikely to finish in the top 10. It would be noce to see since my name s on the side of his boat, ( summer before last they were at a boat show in Toronto drumming up sponsership and for $100 you got a Spirit of Canada hat and your name painte don the side of the boat)

·
Registered
594 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts