SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Vented siphon break vent

Here's an interesting one:

Our engine vented loop/siphon break thingy is installed under the cockpit (as high up under there as is physically possible) and has a reinforced clear plastic hose attached to the side of it going off into the dark reaches beyond... at least it was until yesterday, whereupon after exploring said dark reaches I discovered the end of it draped over the exhaust pipe and not attached to anything. :(

There have been quite a few mods over the years to various things back there (including a new exhaust). Anyone know where this vent should be venting to? Does it matter much??

Thanks,
Cameron

·
19,485 Posts
We don't have one on our current boat, but on our last boat the syphon break was plumbed into a cockpit scupper.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need some pics; otherwise, all you'll get is guesses and speculations without them. ;-)
Hmm... righto - I'll see what I can get on the weekend.

In the meantime, it looks something like this:

What I'm asking is where should the vent hose be piped to? 'Cockpit scupper' is a possibility...

·
19,485 Posts
You need both venting and a place to dispose of the occasional dribble (depending on water flow and exhaust geometry) so I think the cockpit drain makes sense. Seems I've heard some discharging into the cockpit above the drain - in some cases may provide a 'tell tale' similar to outboards... and yet drain away right off.

Reactions: Classic30

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need both venting and a place to dispose of the occasional dribble (depending on water flow and exhaust geometry) so I think the cockpit drain makes sense. Seems I've heard some discharging into the cockpit above the drain - in some cases may provide a 'tell tale' similar to outboards... and yet drain away right off.
Thanks, Ron - that sounds sensible to me.

I've got a drain hose from the cockpit seat to the cockpit floor so I'll see what I can rig up in that. :)

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,630 Posts
the plastic one made by vetus that was on my boat failed. I only found it by investigating what the small hose was that came off of it and into a connection down hill to the exhaust hose about 2ft from the transom outlet. We replaced it with Groco bronze but I never did get around to connecting the vent side of it back on to the exhaust hose.

Reactions: Classic30

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the plastic one made by vetus that was on my boat failed. I only found it by investigating what the small hose was that came off of it and into a connection down hill to the exhaust hose about 2ft from the transom outlet. We replaced it with Groco bronze but I never did get around to connecting the vent side of it back on to the exhaust hose.
Interesting.. thanks, Denise. :)

From the look of the remains of a corroded copper tube hose-clamped to the loose end, I suspect that mine was originally plumbed to the exhaust hose also - but came away long ago before the exhaust hose itself was replaced.

It's nice to know it's nothing to lose sleep over, but it's on my list of things to fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts