SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad:

The Mustang Lil' Legends lifejacket is by all accounts the best thing going for kids. Rarely do you see such a consensus of reviews online, and among boating friends. I bought one recently for my 2 year old and I am very disappointed.

First, some background that may be the problem AND the solution. Mustang just changed the style of the jacket, and the changes are more than cosmetic. I bought the newer one (assuming that they were improving on success) but in reality the experience and rave reviews are all based on the old design.

OLD:

NEW:

Basically I had 3 problems with the jacket. First, it has absolutely ZERO growth room for my kid. My kiddo is 2 years old (as of a couple days ago) and is 28lbs and is 50th percentile for height and weight. He's not fat, and this is a child jacket (30-50lbs) and I can barely get 2 fingers in around his chest and abdomen with the jacket fully extended. It looks like he'll outgrow it before he even reaches 30lbs let alone 50!

Second issue, and this is a big one. The crotch strap buckle slides freely to its full extension. Tug slightly on it and it loosens. So, it's basically useless. Dangerously useless as it can ride up to it's hearts content and doesn't provide any resistance until it meets the buckle.

Third issue. The chest flotation is too big and when seated it rides up around his neck and ears. Granted he's on the small end for this size range, but see problem #1 for why waiting and growing won't help!

As for fitting, I could have found out that this wouldn't work, but my local west marine only had the infant size and the youth size. The other sizes were CLEARLY not right, so child must be right, right? I needed it quickly for boating so I ordered it with quick shipping from Amazon. Now, I have to figure out if Amazon will take it back and go through the hassle of shipping it back.

I still have faith that the old style legend jacket is good, so I'm going to see if I can pick up one (or two?) of the old ones before they're all gone.

MedSailor

· Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sizes are standard in the USA:

Infant = up to 30lbs

Child = 30-50lbs

Youth = 50-90lbs.

In my 28 pounder's case I tried on the infant, and it wasn't going to work, and tried the youth and it was huge. I think the old ones can be found still as some people may have old stocks but I'd be sure the stock in the size you're ordering really is the orange/yellow type and not just an old picture on the website.

MedSailor

· Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did you try the child? seems that would be the one to use...

I too find sizing awkward for many things for my boy

anyways thanks
Yes, the child one is the one that we're having the issue with. I already know the infant and youth won't fit because we tried those two models in the store.

Again, growing won't help him either. It might relieve the neck squishing as he gets taller, but if he gets ANY wider, he won't be able to expand his chest to breathe.

MedSailor

· Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the meantime if you need to go sailing, just go grab one of the freebies on front of the harbor office. There's like ten, ones got to fit.
Otherwise known as the trial fitting center for the older mustang jackets. Brillian idea!

Engineer_sailor, thanks for sharing. Maybe that's the issue.

MedSailor

· Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Med
We have two of the now earlier Mustang Lil Legend jackets for our 4 and 2 year olds.

We experienced a similar fit issue with both out kids between ages 1 and 2. Now that the older one is four the vest fits great. I think the issue is that the chubby two year olds eventually elongate without putting on many pounds. We've floated the kids in the vests and the buoyancy up near the chin is needed to keep their head above water. The four year old and two year old are roughly 30lbs and 27 lbs respectively.

We don't have any issues with the crotch straps but they rarely need adjusting anyway. Could probably just tie them off at the right point.

Josh
While the above issue MAY go away as kiddo grows, the buckle is ABSOLUTE C%AP!! I just tried using it backwards, reverse threaded, reverse backwards and it slips freely like a zip-line. The climbers among you will like this, it even slips, with just a gentle jiggle WHEN IT IS THREADED BACK ON ITSELF as you would do with a climbing harness. Absolutely unacceptable. It's going back.

I could source a new buckle that hopefully will mate with the sewn-in female end, but I still have the fit issue that only *might* go away. It's going back. Hopefully I can get him to fit tested for an older mustang with a loaner jacket
and get 2 of those. Other models haven't impressed me so far as the child ones don't have the head collar and are only type III vests. My kiddo can't swim yet (working on it) so I need a type II that will float him face up.

Any suggestions for other kid vests that work for 2 year olds or is yellow/orange mustang still the way to go if you can find it? Salus makes an awesome baby vest, how's their child vest??

MedSailor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.