SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All...

My boat has steps with wooden tread down the companion way and when they get wet they are very slippery. I have tumbled down a few times :( I looked around but didn't find anything I could refinish them with to make them very not-slippery. Maybe there is something I could mix into a varnish?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Our companionway steps are just oiled, not varnished or anything, and they don't seem to get all that slippery. (Then again: I guess we've never gotten them all that wet, either.)

Fine sand in a pepper shaker, after whatever you put down starts to tack a bit? Dunno.

Jim

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
You can apply some 3M Treadmaster tape, available in any good hardware store. Similar to white duct tape with "sand" grains in the top, used commercially for exactly that problem. Or you could apply a layer of varnish or epoxy and scatter in sand or any other grit of your choice to get a similar effect.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Sand, ground walnut shell, rubber bits, etc, are all good candidates for the steps. You could also go with treadmaster or some other non-skid type stick on finish.

·
Hunter 33.1
37 Posts
I took a router and cut grooves in mine. I don't remember the name but the beads that are used in reflective highway paint make excellent non skid when added to paint so I would think they would work in varnish also.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine has grooves already, I think they have Cetol on them. The PO really liked Cetol. For a quick fix I like the clear permastick idea from Home Depot. I'll refinish the steps when I have time and either use Cetol with the non-skid additive they sell or go with something else and mix in sand.

I just need a quick fix for now before someone gets hurt (again - I was the first).

Thanks everyone! Off to Home Depot I guess!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's two other ideas to consider. Ultimate Sole, a high gloss varnish with a high amount of friction. If you or your wife is handy old fashioned rope mats made of cotton rope like the sailors of yesteryear used looks great. You tack down the edges with brass escutcheon nails. Have both in my boat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
j,
You think bath tub appliques would work? They are pretty water proof and designed to be anti skid and gentle on the skin.

Skateboard tape is really cheap and durable. You could also try a sprinkling of sugar or salt or something else soluble on your last coat of varnish. You let it dry then rinse it out and you have a reverse pattern of whatever you sprinkled on there. You see this done alot on the concrete around pools.

·
2,448 Posts
Take a can of your favorite varnish to the local paint store, they sell packets of fine powder (silica?) that they'll pour into the varnish and then put it into their shaker to get an even distribution.

It's inexpensive and it will be kind to bare feet.

Lowes and Depot sell the same stuff, but I don't know how they'd feel about you walking in with a can of Interlux...

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
easiest thing is go to westmarine and get a small can of Interlux non-slip additive, all you do is take the amount of varnish you need for the steps, measure in whatever amount of non-slip additive, stir and apply

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I put Treadmaster Diamond step pads on my companionway steps about 15 years ago. They work great and have held up well. $17 for a pair at Defender.

·
Registered
22 Posts
On my old Catalina 30 I filled the groves on the steps with a black rubber based caulking (3M i think). I just used blue masking tape around the edge, filled the grove the scraped the excess off with a straight edge to make it level. I worked great for traction and it keeps all of the dirt out that used to collect in there.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On my old Catalina 30 I filled the groves on the steps with a black rubber based caulking (3M i think). I just used blue masking tape around the edge, filled the grove the scraped the excess off with a straight edge to make it level. I worked great for traction and it keeps all of the dirt out that used to collect in there.
That's a very cool idea! The dirt that collects in the grooves is annoying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts