SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Moment
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

We are nearing closing day on our new (to us) boat. We are considering purchasing towing insurance. The only outfit we ever see on the water around Seattle is Vessel Assist. Are there any other choices for Seattle area on Puget Sound?

If anyone has any experience with VA or any company offering similar services in the Seattle area we would like to hear your thoughts.

Thank you
michael

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,970 Posts
I am not aware of any other service here. VA has great coverage in WA and BC, they seem to be "it". They charge over $200/hr so the unlimited plan is the way to go IMHO, it wouldn't take much for the bill to be $1000+. Good luck on the new boat!

John

·
Swab
825 Posts
My advice: Go to West Marine and buy the Towing Insurance. It's $116 a year. Under this plan, Vessel Assist will bring fuel or needed repair parts to you or tow you in if needed and will cover dockside assistance as well as free unlimited towing within 50 miles (Longer distances for an additional fee).

We don't ordinarily believe in insurance policies but here in the Puget Sound area we wouldn't go without this one, especially given the low cost.

Although we didn't need it, it was comforting knowing we could call if we had to when we moved down from Friday Harbor to Shilshole Bay last week.

·
Registered
7,304 Posts
Call Jeff Pullen at pullen tows, local tow boat owner/operator, friend of mine that I teach ski lessons with, He might be able to get you a pretty good program too vs west marine. 206-793-7375 I am hoping that is a good number, tell him Marty B sent you.

marty

·
Senior Moment
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all, we should be the owners of record within the next few days, I will call Jeff, or stop in at WM.

michael

·
Registered
7,304 Posts
Micheal,

I looked up Jeff's number via the boat tow service, and realized today calling another Jeff, I had his number in my cell, the above number should work. I have an 800 number too, but that may be vessel assists number too.

Nice thing about the WM setup, is if you do buy things there, they do give you a X$ kickback for every $XXX you buy, unless they have dropped that option, as they are now selling at MAP prices in the stores.

Marty

marty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts