SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Looking for a www site that I stumbled across once that showed everything with an AIS signal on the planet. What do you use for your iPad?

Dave

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Hi All,

Looking for a www site that I stumbled across once that showed everything with an AIS signal on the planet. What do you use for your iPad?

Dave
Sorry, there is no such thing... From MarineTraffic's FAQ page (emphasis mine):

Data provided can only be used by Internet users for informational reasons only and they are by no means related to safety of navigation. Information provided may be incomplete, obsolete or contain errors and cannot substitute the on-board safety equipment and of course the good seamanship.

Frequently Asked Questions about AIS and MarineTraffic features - AIS Marine Traffic
It's scary how many boaters today appear to be viewing these sites as if they are an equivalent substitute for an onboard AIS receiver...

·
Registered
293 Posts

It's scary how many boaters today appear to be viewing these sites as if they are an equivalent substitute for an onboard AIS receiver...
Yup, I agree...that's why I just installed a new VHF with AIS receiver. But before I had that, I used the iphone app. I knew it was not complete, but being aware of that limitation it was better than nothing.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Gotta start somewhere guys... radar, plotter.... We'll get there. It's the big mother tugs and ships I worry about in the limited visibility. A little information is better than none. Thanks.

·
Registered
23,439 Posts
.......A little information is better than none. Thanks.
I suppose, but keep how it works in mind. These websites rely on local receivers that transmit data to the internet, which the site picks up, translates to its graphics and sends back to you. If you identify a large vessel, via an app, in limited visibility and adjust course. for all you know, you adjusted right toward it. Worse yet, if you are lulled to think there isn't anything ahead and go below to use the head, there is really no assurance.

We don't transmit AIS at all for that matter, so you'll never know whether we're out there. A buddy does transmit and I look to rendezvous with him frequently. I pull up the site ashore and rarely find him, even though I was just texting with him and know exactly where he is.

Reactions: Donna_F

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I suppose, but keep how it works in mind.
I just want to "ditto" this, because it is so important to remember. Certainly, more information is better than less. But do not fool yourself into thinking that any of these websites will show you "everything with an AIS signal on the planet." They won't. Not even close.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
I like to putz around that site when I need some putzing around time, but as far as I know, it's not real time? Am I correct in that assumption?

·
Administrator
7,536 Posts
, but as far as I know, it's not real time? Am I correct in that assumption?
Its not real time. It's normally delayed through a number of reasons: Browser refreshing; longer time to get through the reciever station system and to the internet up and down.
I think you would be very lucky to expect stuff to be less than 1 miinute. and often my boat slips off coverage for 20 minutes or so.
I just check this moment
Received:
23 min ago
so its good for putzing around but got good for navigation, safety etc

Reactions: DJR351 and Donna_F

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,325 Posts
We use the app Marinetraffic.com and the mAIS app where you can register your vessel and receive a unique MMSI#.

It was never used as a primary means of navigation, more of a tracking service for us and friends and family, they could go to Marinetraffic.com and search our vessel name...see our track, speed, current location, etc. They got a kick out of that.

As suggested, it should NOT be used for real time navigation although its pretty accurate, however on several occasion I saw a commercial vessel, often a tug off the coast, and nothing on the website/app = don't rely on it.

The mAIS app does use up a lot of battery being its active until you turn it off (which when you forget...it might look odd to see your boat on land doing 45 mph? ;) )

I use it as a fun addition but certainly not a means of primary AIS, hopefully in the near future our boat will be outfitted with both a transmitter and receiver for AIS.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I used to use the Shipfinder App and find it useless for most of the Chesapeake. I was looking at a ship recently and the app showed nothing.

I just keep my eyes open.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I just downloaded marinetraffic.com. MUCH better than Shipfinder......there actually ARE other vessels in the mid-Chesapeake. And to think that all this time, I thought that my eyes were deceiving me. )

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
Gotta start somewhere guys... radar, plotter.... We'll get there. It's the big mother tugs and ships I worry about in the limited visibility. A little information is better than none. Thanks.
I suppose, but keep how it works in mind. These websites rely on local receivers that transmit data to the internet, which the site picks up, translates to its graphics and sends back to you. If you identify a large vessel, via an app, in limited visibility and adjust course. for all you know, you adjusted right toward it. Worse yet, if you are lulled to think there isn't anything ahead and go below to use the head, there is really no assurance.

We don't transmit AIS at all for that matter, so you'll never know whether we're out there. A buddy does transmit and I look to rendezvous with him frequently. I pull up the site ashore and rarely find him, even though I was just texting with him and know exactly where he is.
I think I have to agree with Minnewaska here. The data will be delayed, so where it is on the screen is surely not going to be where it is on the water.

To me the only use is to casually look around when sitting at your computer at home. It requires cell signal or WiFi to work. I suppose it will give you the name of a vessel, so you can hail them and ask there true position. To me even a AIS receiver attached to a VHF radio makes more sense. You can tie that into your on-board electronics.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks much for the input fellow sailors. After the trip we took that prompted my OP, and getting an app for the i-pad... I have concluded, that RADAR is on my Christmas list. ;) Looking back... I wouldn't use that app for anything but goofing off. :eek:

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
I often sail at night and in fog on advanced level courses..

I monitor vessel traffic services on the VHF. If I am concerned I will call them and ask what traffic I may expect to encounter. I usually do not participate, but VTS does track me and Tofino traffic has asked me participate by calling in each hour.

And radar is on most of the time. I use a split screen: radar/chartplotter

1 - 17 of 17 Posts