SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Veteran's Day y'all.
Today, I decided instead of speeches, flag flying, service anthems and taps, I would go sailing. The day was just too perfect to not sail. I left my slip flag flying on jib alone in very light winds, hoisted the main and had slow tacking out of the marina. Then the winds picked up to the mid teens, which made for a wonderful long beat to the south end of the bay. Turned around for a broad reach home. While musing about my time in the army, the friends, the interesting places and work assignments, a small pod of dolphins decided CC Rider was the next best thing to playground equipment and kept me entertained for about an hour with their leaps and dives. I haven't tired of their antics and when a full size adult crests it's whole body not ten feet from you, it's just too grand for words. A little later I came upon a flock of sea birds that seemed to be having a tea party right in the middle of the bay. As I approached, they scattered in all directions, sort of run-flying away. I felt bad for interrupting their gathering, but then I remembered all the bs I've had to wash off CC Rider and that assauged my guilt.

Now, many think my good old boat is not worth the cost of repairs, was badly designed and flimsily built, and that without ASA 101 and 10ad nauseum I'm nothing more than a hazard to navigation. But beating at 5.5 to 6 kts and broad reaching at 6+ kts all sails flying, Otto steering and John sheeting I was thinking life was pretty good and felt thankful to have survived the army and our foray in Vietnam.

Happy Veteran's day to all who served and all who supported those that did.
John

·
Sundance 23
878 Posts
Missed Vietnam by a couple weeks, when we bailed. I was in AIT. Glad I missed the war.

Happy Veterans Day! Everybody. Unfortunately I'm at work right now. :(

·
Registered
551 Posts
OP,
Congrats on your sail and glad you had a blast, more importantly thank you and every other veteran out there(past and present) for your service.

My wife and I served in US Navy and are glad we did!

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Every Veteran's Day for the past two decades I had the honor and privilege to perform at an upscale Jewish retirement community. One of the residents there always came to see me every time I performed, which is normally once per month, and on at least three holidays, including Veteran's Day. During the Veteran's Day performance it's pretty much just a ceremonial thing, the reading of Flanders Field, I play Taps, God Bless America and all 4 service hymns. This year, unfortunately, that resident was no longer with us - he had recently passed away. He was a Major in the Hungarian Army during WWII, captured by the Germans and interned at Auschwitz. After three years on a labor gang, he health began to fail horribly, he said he was down to under 100 pounds, and stood 6'4" tall. The day before he was to be executed, the American army liberated Auschwitz, he spent a year in a hospital recovering, and immigrated to the United States in the late 1940s. When I met him a decade ago, he showed me the serial number the Germans tattooed on his forearm - it was somewhat unnerving to say the least. He was a wonderful person to talk with and I will miss him dearly. Today, I met a lady that was in Buchenwald and also liberated by the American army a few days before she was scheduled to be gassed. She said that if WWII were fought by today's rules of engagement America would have lost the war. Super nice lady and she said she is eternally grateful to the GIs that rescued her from what would have been certain death. She was the sole survivor of her entire family and she too had the arm tattoo.

Gary :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts