SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This a copy/repost of my post today to the Diesel subforum, as I noticed that the subforum post did not show up in the Gear forum or on the homepage. Reposting here to get wider coverage and so as much chance of informed response as is possible. :)

Vetus M.3.09 Questions -

Looking at buying some classic plastic that was re-powered by a PO with a Vetus diesel; the seller has forwarded me pix of the mfr's plate from the engine, but it is written in German (I think).

Questions based on what I have been able to find out so far:

Is M.3.09 a 3 cylinder engine from 2006 or thereabouts? (It's not referenced in the 2014 catalog.)

Were these used or recommended to replace the Atomic 4s?

The Vetus plate doesn't indicate HP, but it does say "HK 25" and "KW 18.4" - does this indicate max engine power of roughly 25 HP?

Are the Vetus diesels marinized Mitsubishi engines (as I have read)? Or are they made by Deutz (sp)? from, I think, Holland (as I have also read)?

Are they generally reliable, and can you easily get parts and service in Florida and elsewhere in the US?

How does Vetus info engine plate translate into English?

Many TIA

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
no answers huh?

not too popular stateside yet.

they are very good engines, most use a mitsubishi block

I cruised on a boat with a 3 cylinder one and it was one of the best engines I have ever had the pleasure to "work" on

basically dead reliable

not too long ago here was a thread by jameswilson on his rebuilt vetus engine so I would check that out on the deisel threads

18.4kw is fine for a 3 cylinder...

Reactions: Faster

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,150 Posts
The owner's manuals are all online. Put Vetus m3.09 in google...

So far, mine has been a great engine. It is a Mitusbishi block marinized by Dutch Vetus. You should be able to find a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd., Service Manual, for more detailed work. You can find parts online and West Marine is an authorized dealer of parts.

·
Registered
2008 Jeanneau 39i S/V Grace
806 Posts
Hey, Joe. I have a Vetus 3.10, which is very similar to the 3.09. In my case, yes, it did replace an Atomic. It is a three cylinder 25 HP engine. Parts are not impossible to come by, but often they take time to ship from the factory in Holland. Yes, it is a marinized Mitsubishi. I have a dealer here in California, so you should go to the Maryland office for info. Here is the contact:

Christopher T Deboy - [email protected]

He has always been very helpful with any info needed.

The Vetus has been rock solid since I bought the boat three years ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts