SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a new boat owner, I'm running a series of new threads here. Have yet another question. My old vhf antenna is mounted in a place where everyone who comes aboard grabs it for stability. Its leaving splinters in everyone's hand. Its still working great and I have a nice hand held back up. Antenna replacement is on the list but its closer to the bottom of the list. What's a good fix until I can get a replacement. Was considering putting on a clear coat paint or maybe just wrapping it with elec tape. Thoughts, ideas?

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
When you do replace it I would recommend a 1 meter antenna at the top of the mast. That gets you the best reception/range, doesn't clutter up your stern pulpit, and will work better when heeled then the taller VHF antenna that you likely have now.

·
Master Mariner
8,980 Posts
Or polyester resin.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
All of the above, but get some white electrical tape on it right away. Those splinters are nasty and canbother a guest for hours, souring their saililng experience.

For the electrical tape, start at the bottom and wrap your way up. That way the tape will sit like shingles on a roof, shedding water away from the antenna. (Not that it matters, but if you are going to do something, why not give it a free feature, and it's a good habit to get into. I wrapped my long range WiFi Bullet2HP the same way.)

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Sand it, paint it, let fully cure and (wet)sand again to remove those splinters still sticking through the first coat of paint, then paint again.

All you need is a spray can or two of a polyurethane paint.

·
Registered
140 Posts
First mount a real hand hold near the antenna so people will stop grabbing it.

I don't like the electric tape idea as the adhesive will migrate out pretty quick and you'll have a sticky antenna.

I had a similar problem with a push pole. I coated it with epoxy resin and painted it. The resin makes the slivers stiff enough to sand off then the paint protects it.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,405 Posts
You can find 4' lengths of adhesive lined heat shrink tubing at many electronics distributors. Here is an example; Heatshrink.com : Sumitomo O2B2 - 4Ft. Sticks (note that the minimum through them is 4 - but you can shop for this yourself).

Pick a color, pick an appropriate size, and order it. After the install, you can tell guests not to grab the (your color here) antenna.

Reactions: trantor12020

·
Banned
3,112 Posts
Paint it black to stop the penetration of UV. Any new white one should also be painted black, to drastically reduce UV penetration. It will last far longer that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts