SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new to the SailNet community, but have spent a lot of time reading the forums here. I am about to close on a boat later this week and have a question regarding a vhf antenna.

The vessel is a 1975 Irwin 30 and although I see it has a fixed mount vhf, I did not notice any vhf antenna. From what I have read, most suggest mounting the vhf antenna on the masthead. My questions are:

1) Which is cheaper...bringing down the mast and doing the installation myself or having someone install it on a bosun chair? Any other installation options?

2) What would be the cost for installation?

3) Is this something that the marina mechanic or personnel can perform? The vessel is at a wet slip at McCotters Marina in Washington, NC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everyone, thank you for your responses. I'll be headed over to the marina this weekend and I'll be sure to do a better job of inspecting the vhf setup this time. I have a handheld as a backup, so at least I'll have some peace of mind while on the water. I'm weary about stepping the mast down because I have no experience doing that. I'm hoping I'll find some kind of workable setup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was able to check out the vhf radio and there is a cable connected to the unit. I keyed the mic and was able to communicate with my handheld vhf. I tried to see if I can make out the antenna and it seems there is one that is part of the wind vane, but I'm not entirely sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts