SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My vhf is in the cabin, so I'd like to have an external speaker located in the cockpit. I've thought about moving it, but that's a bigger job that I'm willing to get into.

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with the poly-planar brand? I'm looking at the MB21 and MB41 versions. I'm guessing the bigger the better - clearer sound and all that, but the conservative side of me wishes to have a more compact size. Would anyone like to comment?

Thanks!
Trevor

Poly-Planar MB21 VHF Speaker-MB21 Poly-Planar - Star Marine Depot

Poly-Planar MB41 VHF Speaker-MB41 Poly-Planar - Star Marine Depot

·
3,506 Posts
Yes installed the smaller speaker in my cockpit. Worked great....Until I changed radios..then the volume went way down. Good addition. Simple wiring. Go for it. Maybe a radio guru could explain why the volume would drop so much? Good ICOM radio too.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Change in volume could be because the second radio had weaker audio output. That might range from 1/2 watt on a handheld to over 5 watts on something "commercial" quality and it is usually buried in the specs.

It could also come from an impedance mismatch, if one radio says to use a 4 ohm speaker and the other says to use an 8 ohm speaker...among other things the volume will change.

Since very few people look at the audio ratings, cheating and making a radio that is hard to hear, is common. A closed space like your cabin needs less audio than an open one like the cockpit.

Polyplanar pretty much invented the flat water resistant speaker design, they still do it well. You'll probably hear it best if the speaker is mounted next to the companionway, in the bulkhead, pointed back at the helm. Or, immediately to the side of the helm, again pointed to it. (Although that doesn't really allow both ears to hear it "head on".)

·
3,506 Posts
The M 21. Might have to RTFM on the speaker specs...something to put me to sleep trying to make heads or tails of it.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Sorry I can't quote names or models , ok I think mine is a Standard Horizon VHF . The main unit is below by the nav station and with that a 2nd steering station mic . is included , speaker , receiver , station up-down , volume all on the mic head . And it's detachable . I think this is pretty standard on all VHF's . I see no reason for a outside speaker . IMO

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
The volume loss may be because of an impedance mismatch. Check the output specs of the new radio and take note of the ohms required. Most will be 4 ohm speakers, and if you have 8 ohm speakers, there will be a significant drop in volume.

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

·
Super Moderator
6,815 Posts
We went through this with our club launches. The small Poly Planar is about as useless as a wood stove in Key West. The larger one is marginal. We finally wound up with the Standard Horizon MLS-300's and the launch drivers love them..

On my own boat I filled a hole left by an old Data Marine instrument with a single Poly Planar MA4054 stereo speaker and it sounds great. I also have a spare because they come in pairs..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts