SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I assume it's a non-issue since their frequency ranges are orders of magnitude apart, but is there any reason not to mount a 4' VHF backup (actually primary for now) antenna on a small arm attached to the stern post which currently hosts a 2.2kw Furuno? Are there bits in the radome besides the radar signal itself that might mess with the operation of other antenna, and vice-versa?

Same for cell signal boosters, wifi booster, external GPS antenna, etc. -- feel free to recommend more invisible tethers to clutter it up!

In case you're wondering, for the life of me can't find retail listings for those antenna radome hoops for mounting antennae above the radome, besides Garhauer. My post is the Edson 2-3/8" (which is just overpriced schedule 2 aluminum pipe, I think). The Edson site is all-in on their new Vision aerodynamic stuff, but pretty thin for the older stuff. And besides, I have a bunch of leftover aluminum channel and angle iron waiting for a purpose.
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Logo

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Definitely want those above the radar. You can use PVC pipe and fittings to elevate them - it is only 12" or so. Alternately, if the post is high enough, mount them below, although that may interfere with the VHF directionality.

Mark

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
While they are of different frequencies (although cell is close to radar depending on which bands the operator is using), the radar is putting a lot of pulsed energy into them, and can induce voltage on internal wiring and interfere with signals. Your VHF is probably the least vulnerable - if you could move it 2' away from the radome horizontally it would likely have no problem. The GPS and cell booster will probably not work at all while the radar beam is transmitting into them. Another worry is that a cell booster close to a GPS antenna can interfere with the GPS - you really shouldn't have those two next to each other. Probably 6' apart would be best.

Mark

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
If your GPS is newer, and you have a fiberglass boat, experiment with just mounting the GPS inside the boat. They are very sensitive now. I haven't mounted one outside in many years, and have 4 of them mounted inside right now. After all, your cellphone picks up GPS deep inside your house.

Mark

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, makes sense. I just installed a new Axiom MFD and Standard Horizon GX2400 VHF, both of which are mounted under a side deck at the nav station and so far have no problem getting signal, but electronics-wise my brain is stuck in 2002. Glad to hear GPS antennas are indeed unnecessary in 2021.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts