SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends - I have discovered my VHF radio has developed some bad static when I transmit......I did a radio check today using the SeaTow automated radio check here and although the programmed message from SeaTow came through crystal clear the recording of my outgoing message came back sounding really statickey (is that a word?). I scanned through the channels and can hear traffic at the cruise port very clearly, so I'm guesing it isn't the antenna. The unit is a Standard Horizon Explorer GX1600 that's about two years old and it has never had a problem until now. Any ideas on what could be causing the outgoing message to have this problem?

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys.....last night I tried turning off the shore power and still got the static, and plugged in the ram mic at the helm and got the same thing. This morning I checked the antenna connections at the radio and at the base of the mast where it is spliced in but no luck there either. I checked all the grounding and that all seems secure, too. Puzzling. I'm starting to worry that the radio itself is on it's way out. Reception is still really strong but the transmit has a lot of static.

It looks like a bird has been camping out at the top of the mast judging from the mess on the mainsail cover, so maybe the connection at the masthead has come loose......not sure how I could be getting good reception if that's the case, but that's the only other thing I know to check. Guess I'll check SH customer service and see if they have any tips before I go aloft.

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks HelloSailor......the problem seems to have resolved itself - whether it was with my gear or Seatow's I'm not sure. I did a radio check a little while ago with a friend who lives about 3 miles away and the transmit and receive were both crystal clear, and now I'm getting the same from the SeaTow automated service. I had taken the antenna connections and ground connections loose and cleaned them, and when I put them back together everything seems to be working. Problem solved, I guess, until the next time the gremlin decides to have some fun.....

Thanks for everyone's input on this. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a safe and happy New Year!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.