SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just poking around Yachtworld to see what B49's are going for these days to see how much I've "lost" already :), and then I saw the below picture that just made a light bulb go off in my head. The Raymarine E series can display video from a video feed. Sometimes people use this for engine rooms, underwater views, and stuff like that.

What about mounting a camera at the top of the mast, pointing downward towards the bow so that you get a bird's eye view of the water in front of you. Wouldn't that be an awesome way to navigate the Bahamas? You would have a real-time aerial view of the water right in front of you displayed on your chartplotter right in the cockpit at the helm. What better way to read the water, no? Has anyone done this or otherwise have experience with the concept?

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Actually, with a polarizing filter on the lens, it might work fairly well.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
A friend of mine on his vessel, Toucan Dream, did this very thing about ten years ago and for the prupose of viewing the water ahead in the Bahamas. I was never aboard his vessel when navigating in that water, but I got the impression that it was successful.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I received a wireless colour video camera from my sister for my birthday. It's meant to be mounted on the rear of a car so you can park in tight spaces or to check for kids in your driveway.

She knows I don't own a car but she also knows I have bitched a bit about docking "blind" from inside the pilothouse as I lose sight of the dock when docking portside. So she cleverly got me this camera.

I'll let you know how it works next year. Mounted high enough, it should be weatherproof, or could be made so. Mounted on a small sealed rotating base, it could see both docks and forward. The polarizing filter is a great idea.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Valiente—

Most small CCD-based cameras will need a circular polarizer rather than a linear one, as a linear one will affect the CCD adversely. :)

·
Back to just the Jon boat
941 Posts
And that little car backup camera has such a wide angle lens that it will probably not be of much use unless close to the subject, ie. mounted on a stanchion.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
And that little car backup camera has such a wide angle lens that it will probably not be of much use unless close to the subject, ie. mounted on a stanchion.
That's not a problem. Cost to me is zero, remember?

If these don't work, I'm pretty sure I can rig it into a "boatwatch" system that can allow me to look at my boat and the conditions and transmit the image to me elsewhere via stream or still, so it's going to be a useful toy regardless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts