SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this video today. It's video of a Tanzer 7.5 trying to go out Deception Pass against a flood tide. I had to look at the date of the video to make sure the knucklehead in the boat wasn't me, because our second boat was a Tanzer with the same window configuration and I used to do dumb stuff like that when gas was cheap and time was short.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Never been through there on a boat, but when I looked down at the Pass from the bridge above, I couldn't decide what would be worse: Pushing through it against or with the current!

That is an impressive spot.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
You know, you could have kept your mouth shut and we'd never know that this is you and your boat... ;) Look how the stern is squatting...that boat is at hull speed... trying to faster than hull speed actually.

Came across this video today. It's video of a Tanzer 7.5 trying to go out Deception Pass against a flood tide. I had to look at the date of the video to make sure the knucklehead in the boat wasn't me, because our second boat was a Tanzer with the same window configuration and I used to do dumb stuff like that when gas was cheap and time was short.

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4B3sd0XRFBE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,970 Posts
Impressive video Ray, was that your folks taking the pics. Oh wait, you said it wasn't you in the Tanzer. :rolleyes: Bet it was pretty fun though.

John

·
19,488 Posts
Quite the ride... when you get bored with that, Ray, come up and try Egmont's Skookumchuk narrows... oh - sorry - right - not you.....;)

·
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure I would come through with clean underwear after going through Skookumchuk. We've hiked in to the narrows a couple of times to watch it run on spring tides. Very impressive.

Capt Vancouver took his boat through the passes north of Desolation Sound. My folks had a chart book that had notes in the margins from Vancouver's log. One of the entries was from the boat going through Seymore or one of the other narrows and their boat spun around three times and the crew cheered after going through.

·
Tartan 37C
501 Posts
That certainly looks to be quite the wild ride!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
All right....

Now, I've always been a Deception Pass chicken, and always navigated it near slack...

And then I ran into this guy whilst anchored off Hope Island, who had a boat that looked EXACTLY like yours, had the same name, and even looked like you;)

And he said: "I go through Deception Pass any time as long as the current is going my way"

And I said: "Yeah, sure, but what I'm afraid of is getting hit by another boater, who doesn't have steerage, or getting whacked on the hull or propeller by a deadhead"

And he said, basically: "Quit being a wimp. It's not that big of a deal. As long as you have the current at you back, it will spit you right through"

And so, based on the stranger's advice, I have now transited Deception Pass with 5 knot and 7 knot currents at my back. No big deal.

And so.. What I'm getting around to is that video. That looks hairy. Even with the current at my back. And I know that videos make waves look smaller.

But that looks crazy to me. It must been taken during a Spring tide. It's really moving....

Would you/he still go through Deception Pass with it moving that fast?

David.

Oh, and JRP, Mr. Moderator sir? Next time you show up at Deception Pass, it better be on one of your Sailnetter minions' boat!

·
19,488 Posts
....Oh, and JRP, Mr. Moderator sir? Next time you show up at Deception Pass, it better be on one of your Sailnetter minion's boat!
And so it begins......;) JohnR, having second thoughts yet??:)

·
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Greetings David,

The last time I went through the pass against the current was last fall. It was running too fast to go through the main pass so we took Nikko through Canoe Pass, which runs a little bit slower than the main pass. Even though it runs slower, we almost came to a dead stop right under the bridge. I have to admit, I was gripping the wheel pretty tight about that time and Sandy was giving me "the look". I'm not going to do that again on my boat. I'll wait for Stillraining to put his boat back in the water and go through with him instead. My insurance agent will sleep better that way.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Deadheads go with the current as well, unless they're dragging, I suppose, but in that case they'd be quite visible as the water rushes around them. Other boaters are a different story.

We transited Deception Pass this past March 21 on the ebb. Our plan had us passing at slack but of course we were late, so that at the narrows the current was 5 knots. It didn't feel like 5. We had no motor a very light tailwind -- basically enough for steerage to avoid the worst eddies and any deadheads (didn't see any) and we basically just glided through. I stood at the bow and reported upcoming hazards to the helmsman.

Here's a video of us passing under the bridge:

(the gentlemen in the crew were naked from the waist up in order to comply with a local legend which requires nudity in the pass to appease the gods)

I apologize for sounding unduly excited :p We were all, let's say, anxious, but it turned out to be a pretty smooth ride. The stream kept us safely away from the shores.

·
Registered
35 Posts
onlookers cheer from bridge

Really poor planning is when you fight the current both ways in one day or cruise.
You can't see the bridge in the video, but theres probably a bunch of tourists up there betting on whether he will make it.
TJ

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
This is one of those areas that when you hit it just right you will double the speed of your boat for a short time... And have in your log: At position XXn XXXw we were able to attain 18 kts or whatever...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts