SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,380 Posts
May is early to be out there. Confusing that the video seems to go from daylight to pitch dark. Losing the mast, with injuries, is serious. Glad everyone got out OK.

·
Registered
‘77 Pearson 10m
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
May is early to be out there. Confusing that the video seems to go from daylight to pitch dark. Losing the mast, with injuries, is serious. Glad everyone got out OK.
Noticed that too. Maybe they took the more seriously injured ashore first. Looks like only the stretcher came up in daylight and the first one off was laying on the deck not standing. It’s “only” 80 miles to NYC.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is there more to the story? Why they would leave or not head into a nearby port earlier on Saturday with two stationary fronts off the coast and a low pressure system that just exited the area this Thursday morning...I know they got picked up on Sunday but it was windy (gale warnings with higher gusts forecasted) from Saturday afternoon until Wednesday evening for these waters...Impressive US Coast Guard rescue! Glad to know the USCG is there but it shouldn't be taken for granted!

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,216 Posts
I'm amazed at these rescuers. The person that volunteerily gets dumped into stormy seas to swim a wreckage strewn sea, to climb aboard when no one assists him - they must have been too badly injured - then to do a multi hour rescue. That is indeed courage!

It appears there's a sea anchor off the bow. That's good.

Shows why an EPIRB alone is not adequate for comms. Shows the value of digital packaging they could get a Tweet out at such range... Unless the info was not correct and it was a Spot Messenger etc.

Great result. The swimmer & rescue crew have earned 2 beers 🍻 (EACH!).

Mark

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
More to story surely.

But we all make mistakes.

I got caught in 14” breakers one afternoon, wx totally missed that one. I still don’t understand what happened that day.

Luckily the breakers were going my way and the boat took care of me. All ended well. Pure luck.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'm amazed at these rescuers. The person that volunteerily gets dumped into stormy seas to swim a wreckage strewn sea, to climb aboard when no one assists him - they must have been too badly injured - then to do a multi hour rescue.
Did you notice how quickly he was able to board? Also that he was moving easily around the boat with his swim fins still on. I have difficulty in calm seas if wearing flipflops! The pilots are at the top of their profession, too.

I'm in awe of these guys and they will never pay for drinks in my company.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
HI,

I don't want to go into this too much but here is some additional information:
Boat was a 2002 C&C 121 - a 40' cruiser / racer. Boat had been well maintained and updated by the owner - a very experienced sailor
They departed Bermuda bound for Long Island. I don't know all of the details but when they left Bermuda was weather models for arriving in NY were contradictory. I don't know if they were able to receive weather updates while en route
Saturday the weather turned to crap. They were about 80nm south of Long Island. They hove too and went below to rest. Probably one person on watch on deck.
A LARGE wave, estimated at 25', broke onto the boat. This shattered the carbon fiber mast into pieces. The force of the wave landing on deck wiped out the stanchions and lifelines, and bent all of the deck supports below. The crew were injured when they flew around the cabin.

I don't know why the carbon fiber mast shattered like that. I believe it was original - 20 years old. Could that have made it brittle? During the trip south (in the fall) there was an issue with the forestay. I believe the boat was repaired with a new forestay. Maybe some hidden damage?

Amazing job by the CG!

Barry

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,216 Posts
Thanks @BarryL
That sounds likely.

One problem with having a crew of 4 is someone will always be on a time schedule. I you say "we leave Saturday" and folks fly in for a 1 week 'delivery' and then the wx is crap for that Saturday you have a lot of pressure not to put it off for a week... or 2 weeks.
Difficulty at the edges of the seasons is weather is more unpredictable. Always has been, always will be.

But it appears they were prudent hoving to and not trying to punch into it.

Mark

·
Master Mariner
9,286 Posts
I'm amazed at these rescuers. The person that volunteerily gets dumped into stormy seas to swim a wreckage strewn sea, to climb aboard when no one assists him - they must have been too badly injured - then to do a multi hour rescue. That is indeed courage!

It appears there's a sea anchor off the bow. That's good.

Shows why an EPIRB alone is not adequate for comms. Shows the value of digital packaging they could get a Tweet out at such range... Unless the info was not correct and it was a Spot Messenger etc.

Great result. The swimmer & rescue crew have earned 2 beers 🍻 (EACH!).

Mark
I believe that was the RF jib.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife
1 - 20 of 31 Posts