SailNet Community banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
5,928 Posts
It sounds like the most important part of this first boat purchase is that you're leading with your head and not your heart.

Best of luck. If this isn't The One, there are others waiting for a good home.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
That is not an outrageous insurance premium for a year.
You might be able to get it a bit cheaper IF you have a homeowner's insurance (&/or auto) policy and your company will cover the boat as well. Worth investigating but you'd likely not save more than $100 - 200.

What is usually more expensive is the docking, mooring & winter storage fees. Where ya' going to keep this Bristol 32' around NYC?

·
Registered
Bristol 29.9
387 Posts
That insurance premium sounds o.k. to me. We have a 1975 24' Bristol that is insured through BoatUS for approx. $300/year.

As an aside, there is a very active Yahoo group for Bristol owners that you may want to check out. I've found the members to very helpful with my Bristol-specific questions.

·
Registered
644 Posts
through Boat US I pay ~300/yr, but going into the Atlantic is explicitly excluded. IIRC it would have been ~700/yr to include the Atlantic in the policy. so it sounds like you are in the right ballpark.

For me it works out, the majority of my sailing is within the confines of the Pamlico sound. If I plan to go outside I call them and get a rider for the week for 5 or 10 bucks.

btw beautiful boat!

·
Super Moderator
4,027 Posts
That's in the ballpark of what I pay..for coverage on the East Coast from NS to Jacksonville Fla. Same company. Includes the dinghy. ( $500 deductable) Add another $150 or so for unlimited towing + boat us membership.

Edit: I'm down to $137.00 deductable. Diminished by being claim free.

I'm wondering now, if I take my deductable up, can I bring my premiums down...hmm..

·
I'm new.
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for all the comparisons. Bristol299bob,thanks for the idea of adding a rider whenever / if a panned trip outside insured range happens!

For everyone still following along, I've been cheating on Sailnet with this topic (commitment phobe) over at Cruisers Forum and have received some good insight and links that some may find useful in the future: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f128/first-boat-purchase-going-to-have-a-look-at-a-bristol-32-a-105805.html

·
I'm new.
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Chats with partners were had... numbers hashed out... pros and cons weighed... decisions were made... and a deposit is ready to be put down. Now if I could just get in touch with the seller...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.