SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everywhere I go on the net I get very negative feedback about the possibilty of fixing our radar - we have already changed the magnetron but now, instead of excessive clutter (the reason for changing mag) we not only don''t get a signal from the radar input but when we connect the cable the control panel on the monitor becomes disabled.

Anyone know of someone who is an expert in this area or can give us pointers as to what the problem might be.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Forget it. Reparing a VIGIL radar over and over again is not worth the aggravation. We treated ours with white gloves, knew every representative on the East Coast from numerous repair attempts, and then just gave up.

Your time and money are better spent buying a quality unit such as Furuno which, if installed correctly, are pretty much bullet-proof.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you know where I can buy beg borrow or steal a VIGIL mars keyboard? My system worked fine til the keyboard was 'borrowed' by rodents (2 legged) one night. VIGIL mars electronics whereabouts would also be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a complete Vigil radar sitting in my garage, ready to discard. It still works, but the display height is compressed, and I replaced it on the boat with a Raymarine a few years ago. It has the wireless and wired remotes, cables, manuals, etc. Good for parts. Anyone who can pick it up in the Palm Beach, FL area can have it.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I can't believe people are still talking about this radar/chocolate bar. I've been hearing and reading jokes about it since I got into boating. I saw one once, and it looked pretty primitive. Perhaps it's better than nothing, but salvaging one these days seems like unscrewing the seatbelt from your father's old car just to have it in your 2009 vehicle.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just wanted to say that "loveh20" is a great member he has really gone out of his way to help me getting this system working again for my dad. i know its a old system and probably should just be replaced but my dad is retired and really cant afford a new radar system right now and this member went above and beyond to help me out

thanks again loveh20

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vigil System

For 'Loveh20'
I would be most interested in your discarded Vigil system. Could you contact me on the private message system? I do not have enough posts posted (5) to contact you direct. Many thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
vigil radars

Hello, If any of you are still interested in salvaging your Vigil radar I am sitting on a boat load of brand new parts for these systems..no joke. They were bound for the dumpster today but figured I would check out a few of these forums before doing so, Being this is my first post I cannot add my email but I guess you can contact me thru this site and I will try to answer any questions you might have. thankyou....dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
vigil radar parts

I am desperately searching for a Vigil radar parts source, or even more helpful would be an electrical schematic diagram for Vigil radar monitors. If anyone has any information on sources for either of these I would greatly appreciate your letting me know either by private message, or on this board. Thanks much !!

hleland

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vigil keyboard

Do you know where I can buy beg borrow or steal a VIGIL mars keyboard? My system worked fine til the keyboard was 'borrowed' by rodents (2 legged) one night. VIGIL mars electronics whereabouts would also be appreciated.
I happen to aquire 3 Virgil keyboards, 2 radar screens, one radar antenna and assorted wiring. Are you still interested in a keyboard?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vigil RM Radar

Hi!

We have a Vigil RM Radar, but need the keyboard. Will yours work with that model? (if you have any left)

Thanks!

--Tony

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 3 keyboards I will check the model number on them and will get back to you later on this evening.I also have 2 monitors and the antenna that goes with it
Respectfully yours,
Wilfred Morrison

·
Registered
6 Posts
Vigil radar parts

Wilfred Morrison,

I noticed your message re Vigil radar monitors. I'm interested in acquiring a Vigil radar monitor from the 1987-9 model years, and the model would be either an RX or RM type.

If the monitor you have is one of these, please send me an email to: [email protected].

Thanks, Hal Leland

·
Registered
5 Posts
Vigil

Hi - We posted something a few weeks ago about our Vigil RX, now available for parts. I tried to get parts without success both here and elsewhere. We ended up with a new Garmin but there are lots of things about the old Vigil that are superior. I was sad to see it go.

Here's the link to the parts we may still have. I say "may' because there's a local TV repair guy who may be playing with the parts in his spare time. If anyone is keen for them I could do some checking with him. And half of me still wants to find some spares, fix ours, and then on-sell the Garmin.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/65192-vigil-radar-parts-available.html

Ciao -Kantala

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Just curious, what did you find was superior about the VIGIL???

Hi - We posted something a few weeks ago about our Vigil RX, now available for parts. I tried to get parts without success both here and elsewhere. We ended up with a new Garmin but there are lots of things about the old Vigil that are superior. I was sad to see it go.

Here's the link to the parts we may still have. I say "may' because there's a local TV repair guy who may be playing with the parts in his spare time. If anyone is keen for them I could do some checking with him. And half of me still wants to find some spares, fix ours, and then on-sell the Garmin.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/65192-vigil-radar-parts-available.html

Ciao -Kantala

·
Registered
5 Posts
Vigil radar v Garmin GMR 18HD

What was better about the old radar compared to the new Garmin? Quite a lot, actually.
1. The old Vigil RX could give 2 simultaneous ranges and bearings, whereas the new one won't give any unless you use its MARPA plotting, which is a pain.
2. The Vigil RX had much better side-lobe characteristics.
3. The Vigil RX had an infinitely adjustable Guard Zone, any size anywhere. Whereas the Garmin has a fixed non-adjustable circular zone which is far too close to the boat. Useless, completely useless in the real world.
4. The Vigil RX was far easier to use. The Garmin is an absurd series of menu choices for everything.
5. Leading on from that, the one thing that any experienced radar user does is continually adjust the Gain to suit the particular target he is looking at. From the moment I first went to sea decades ago I was taught to keep my fingers on the Gain control. The Vigil RX keypad was simple, a toggle bar, + at one end & - at the other. Perfect continuous control. But changing the Gain on the Garmin requires leaving the picture, then pushing at least half a dozen buttons before returning to the picture to discover that you need to do it all over again. Garmin will say "Ah, but we have Automatic Gain", which is true, but it's NOT as good as a human making intelligent choices about each target, and in some places the Automatic Gain is a complete pain.

There is more, but you get the idea. On the Plus side, the Garmin uses less than 2 amps, which is amazing (5 for the Vigil RX). The Garmin integrates with other stuff which is nice for some, and is part of a Plotter, which lots of people like. The Garmin has a very sensitive receiver, which is good, but that also means it picks up returns from even a weak side-lobe, which is bad.
The Garmin is 36 mile, as opposed to the Vigil RX 32, but really, that doesn't amount to anything in the real world.
The MARPA is nice, and works OK by itself if you don't mind pushing lots of buttons while NOT having the screen alive. It should be connected to a compass to give better reports. I'm in the process of cross-connecting the Autopilot NMEA into the radar, which will help MARPA (and enable the navigator to get ranges and bearings to a point, which should be the FIRST thing a radar does).
The Garmin is small, and the wires are small. The data is transmitted via Ethernet cable which is VERY good.

I am deeply disappointed that the Garmin doesn't allow accurate ranges, ie the only scrolling range is part of the MARPA.
What really pisses me off about the Garmin GMR18 HD is that it crashes !! Yes, I've discovered a few things which crash it.The first was when I attempted to change the Transmit/Standby times, which the manual says is possible. Crash! Every time!
The Brightness control is a pain, and is supposed to have an Auto Day/Night function. Doesn't work.

All in all, the Garmin could have been a good radar. It's as if it was brought onto the market a year to soon. I'd like to fire the programmers and hire some who have actually been to sea.

Enough - Kantala

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Have you checked to see if your Garmin 18HD has the latest firmware?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, definitely the latest software. We don't have much time right now, but when we do we'll go lean on the desk of the nearest Garmin support people and see if we can get some answers.

That may be a LOL (Lots-of-Luck) situation. They've never given us any support before, and don't reply to emails or requests for help on their web-site

1 - 20 of 36 Posts