SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've used this particular source a couple times now. I was initially attracted to their extremely user friendly online design interface, and to their reasonable pricing.

I used them for my Precision 23 this Spring and received my lettering quickly and with no problems.

Having tried a lot of design interfaces, their's stands way above all others I tried.

With most sites you type in the name of your boat, and then try various fonts one at a time until you find one you like. With their site, as soon as you type in the name of your boat, it immediately displays your boat name in a few hundred different fonts that you just scroll through.

Choosing bold, italic, slant, size, shadow, special effects and so on is also easier than other sites.

http://doityourselflettering.com

I just got done ordering new lettering for my new-to-me Catalina 28, which prompted me to share my opinion here.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Most good sign shops have this .I used to draw and cut my own(pre computer) but now so easy to pick a weird Gallic/Itallic font and even curve it on the transom. On wood I just belt sand off ,and repaint when needed Then apply new .I have pictures so it gets back in the same place.

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
C'mon let us know already...

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
The interface on the BoatUS site is very similar. Nice to see how the different fonts look and the caluation of length allows you to easily determine the letter height you should use.

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
I've had good luck with BoatUS. They even offer an Ooops guarantee where if you mess up the application of the lettering (which is actually hard to do), they will send you replacements free. Something to think about.

-Chris

Reactions: RonRelyea

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boat US should definitely give an oops guarantee. I just went on their site and designed my lettering and it came out to well over twice as much as the DIY Lettering.

Just sayin'.

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Ours was comparable. Perhaps that is because we are already members?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Nothing wrong with using online sign shops just like there's nothing wrong with using a local sign shop. They're usually very competitive, often will make it while you are standing there and keeps your money in the local economy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts