SailNet Community banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
We had no problem checking out of the BVIs at Jost Van **** or in St. John. We checked back in at the office in Tortola and that was a headache and several hours lost (they have no dinghy dock either and since we were returning to dock ahead of storm Bertha the harbor was rough). We resolved to only check in and out from JVD in future charters.

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
We had no problem checking out of the BVIs at Jost Van **** or in St. John. We checked back in at the office in Tortola and that was a headache and several hours lost (they have no dinghy dock either and since we were returning to dock ahead of storm Bertha the harbor was rough). We resolved to only check in and out from JVD in future charters.
I'm confused by your post. Who did you charter with? Why would you return a VIP boat to Roadtown? Sorry if I'm missing something.

·
Lookin' for an excuse ...
158 Posts
Just to put things in context, VIP had glowing reviews in 2002. Then a new post in 2013 slammed them. Is it possible they went that far downhill in the 11 years in between?

Sure would like to hear from other recent VIP charterers. I almost chartered from them this summer if they would have had a boat large enough for the group.

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
I work for another charter company on St Thomas. In the last year or so 3 employees left VIP and now work at the same place I do. I keep my boat in the marina adjacent from them and can say they have a very small selection of sailboats compared to 8 years ago. If you Google them you can read reviews from a few different sources and make your own decisions. I have never chartered from them so I can't comment from that perspective. I do interact frequently with the ex-employees and hear their stories which could not be confused with "positive endorsements". I am also acquainted with a captain that used to work for them and has passed on some truly astounding stories. To counter that, I re-hydrate on occasion at a bar that is frequented by VIP charter guests. Some are coming off of a trip satisfied, others not at all...

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have chartered out of Benner Bay through VIP Yacht Charters many times . . . the first time for me was in the early 90's. Glen Millar is running the show there now. I remember Nori there from years ago. Wondering if anyone knows the names of the 59' Tarquin's (power yacht) at VIP? I believe one is Derg Trader, and the other one is _______________? We've twice chartered the 48' Jefferson (Eye Swear), and before that was the 48' Emily Sue. We planned another bareboat charter trip for March 2018, but I'm not sure which one we'll be taking yet. It'll definitely be one of the 59's because they no longer have the 48's in their fleet. Hoping to get some updated pictures from Glen soon to share with the crew. I can't wait for this coming year's trip!

Attachments

21 - 27 of 27 Posts