SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Reaction score
I did ASA104 with BWSS out of St Thomas in Dec 2012. My experience with them was very good. Excellent instructor and great comfortable boat. A lot will depend on your "classmates" (we heard some stories during the week), unless you are booking a private class.
Yep, I'm a little bit concerned about how that part of it goes, I'm figuring that its 50/50 whether or not we even have another two people on the boat (my wife and I are going), and if there are other people on the boat I'm figuring its 10% chance they are awesome people we stay in contact with and sail with again later, 80% chance they are fine and everything is relatively smooth, and 10% chance they are real stinkers we have to deal with and make the best of. Maybe I'm too optimistic...I dunno, but at this point its better to be hopeful than fearful! Didn't seem like it was worth the extra ~$1500 + tip to pay for the private lessons, we'll see how my dice turn up when they stop rolling.

· Registered
231 Posts
Reaction score
Yep, I'm a little bit concerned about how that part of it goes, I'm figuring that its 50/50 whether or not we even have another two people on the boat (my wife and I are going), and if there are other people on the boat I'm figuring its 10% chance they are awesome people we stay in contact with and sail with again later, 80% chance they are fine and everything is relatively smooth, and 10% chance they are real stinkers we have to deal with and make the best of. Maybe I'm too optimistic...I dunno, but at this point its better to be hopeful than fearful! Didn't seem like it was worth the extra ~$1500 + tip to pay for the private lessons, we'll see how my dice turn up when they stop rolling.
Just came back to say that we just arrived back from our week of sailing school in the Virgin Islands, and we had an absolute BLAST. We massively lucked out and the one other person on our boat was in the 0.0001% on the awesome side, our boat was nice, the winds were decent, and our captain was pretty awesome. Learned a lot (mostly confidence, we already had/have the basics of sailing down pretty good). Definitely recommended. We went with Blue Water Sailing School.

· Registered
231 Posts
Reaction score
We were on Prana (a Beneteau Oceanis 440) with Bill Miles. We sailed out of Red Hook, anchored in a couple of bays on St. John (Leinster Bay, Newfound Bay) cleared in to BVI at West End, anchored Mediterranean style at Sydney's on Josh van Dyke, anchored in Cane Garden, cleared back into USVI at Cruz Bay, took a mooring in Christmas Cove, and left the boat back in Red Hook. It was a most excellent experience!

· Registered
231 Posts
Reaction score
Danny, sounds like your experience mirrors mine. We spent a good deal of time with Molly too even though we were on Bill's boat. My wife even sailed with her for a day. Glad it went well! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.