SailNet Community banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
No, other than it's a story (link wouldn't open for me)

In this case I believe something that has .gov in the web address. But there's no reason to look as if I really wanted to know I would do my own search
I searched for a .gov website or the White House announcements ans couldnt find it.
So I checked a number of the news services, Washpost, NYT etc and none of them had a link to a proper announcement either.

in a time when all media seems to be making stuff up they should have links to the real sources... but then we would never need to read the media again... or at least, they couldn't lie or "interpret" the official statement.

So, after not finding the facts I resorted to "shoot the messenger" rhetoric :) :) :)

Mark

·
Registered
78 Posts
I searched for a .gov website or the White House announcements ans couldnt find it.
So I checked a number of the news services, Washpost, NYT etc and none of them had a link to a proper announcement either.

in a time when all media seems to be making stuff up they should have links to the real sources... but then we would never need to read the media again... or at least, they couldn't lie or "interpret" the official statement.

So, after not finding the facts I resorted to "shoot the messenger" rhetoric :) :) :)

Mark
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2019-10-09/pdf/2019-22225.pdf

See if this is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oops. Sorry, I didn't see that Minnewaska had already found it.

Govinfo.gov, which recently replaced another badly named government website, contains extensive information from all 3 branches of the US government. It is literally getting the information from the horse's mouth.

·
Registered
21,800 Posts
My reading of this document indicates it references Immigrant visa holders, would this therefore apply to tourist and other visa holders?
Pretty sure anyone who enters any country, who is not a citizen of said country, is an alien.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Pretty sure anyone who enters any country, who is not a citizen of said country, is an alien.
My understanding that the document is referring to Immigrants, not visitor's.

immigrant
/ˈɪmɪɡr(ə)nt/
noun
a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My reading of this document indicates it references Immigrant visa holders, would this therefore apply to tourist and other visa holders?
You frame it as a question, but I believe you have hit on exactly the important distinction concerning who is impacted.

There are definitions in the Immigration and Nationality Act that differentiate between an immigrant and a nonimmigrant alien. (https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title8-section1101&num=0&edition=prelim). Nonimmigrant aliens include those who are visiting the United States temporarily for business or temporarily for pleasure. Immigrant aliens are those who intend to reside permanently in the United States.

I know little about any of this, but on the surface, it seems to me that the new proclamation deals only with immigrant aliens--that is, those who intend to reside permanently in the United States.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Yes, the link was fir immigrant visas.
I'm looking for the visitor B2 visa required by people arriving in the USA by private boat.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
As mentioned earlier there are good and bad hospitals everywhere including the states. Hospitals don’t treat you doctors and nurses do but there again there’s good and bad. Big difficulty as a traveler or cruiser is to not have that local knowledge.
Hell, even when home I don’t use my local hospital for some services but as a retired physician do have a leg up on where’s good for what. When in the Caribbean do get stories from cruisers telling you who to avoid. Still think main function of medivac insurance is to get you back someplace where you’re cued in to whose good.

·
Registered
21,800 Posts
Seems clear that this proclamation does not cover the short term visitor.........

....unless the alien will be covered by approved health insurance, as defined in subsection (b) of this section, within 30 days of the alien’s entry into the United States
Not sure what the 90 or 180 day cruising permit holder is required to do. I hate to say it, but I think one should show or purchase coverage at immigration, before being let past the turnstile. I'll gladly comply with the same, visiting other countries. I dare say, if a US citizen can afford to visit another country, they either have medical insurance or can afford it. There are those that choose not to have it. They are not the majority of the uninsured, by a long shot, but the rest of us are tired of paying for them, when they stiff their bill, because they spent their money on other fun stuff. It's just part of the death by a thousand cuts.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts