SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Southern Cross is a 41 foot long, full keel wooden sailboat built by Dickerson Boatbuilders in Maryland in 1974. We visited Don and D aboard Southern Cross in March of 2013 in Oriental, North Carolina...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Looking forward to it, looks like a very cool boat with a lot of interesting little improvements. Always on the lookout for new ideas.

Saw Monique's post that you were staying in Iceland for the winter. That actually sounds really cool (well, very cold, and dark, but it looks like a very neat place to hang out for a while).

When is the next window for you to sail south? Do you have a plan for next years travel?

Looking forward to your other videos BTW. The previews have been great. I know it's a lot of work though (and the work does show in the final product) so don't burn yourself out.

-Argyle

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Argyle,

Many thanks. After working so hard, I really appreciate hearing that it shows in the final product. Thank you for reminding me that I need to start taking more breaks from editing.

Mo takes me outside and props me up in the sun every once in a while. :)

We've filmed over 5 terabytes of video of the past 6 months of sailing over 6000 miles from North Carolina to Iceland. We've got a fantastic story to tell, and also have a lot of great interviews and boat tours from cruisers and locals that we've met along the way in Canada and Greeland.

My plan is to edit from now until April, and then start sailing and filming again for the next series. I'd like to spend 2 months exploring the north coast of Iceland, a month exploring the Faroe Islands, and then the rest of the sailing season exploring Norway before settling there for the winter to edit.

Then in the Spring I'd like to go way up north to Spitsbergen... I've talked with some Norwegian cruisers who have gone there and it sounds like a very interesting place.

Happy sailing,

Drake
s/v Paragon
Westsail 42

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently discovered a large collection of your videos floating around the web drake. It's nice to catch a glimpse of a story or a day out on the blue. Some great friends you have there!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Southern Cross is a 41 foot long, full keel wooden sailboat designed by Ernest Tucker.
She was built by Dickerson Boatbuilders in Maryland in 1974.
Her hull is made from mahogany strip planks that are glued and nailed together (no caulking!)
They are fastened to steam bent white oak frames with bronze fasteners.
Southern Cross was used as the 'plug' to create a mold for producing fiberglass versions of the Dickerson 41.*

She is currently being refit in Oriental, North Carolina by her owners Don and D...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
video: Deck Tour of Southern Cross, Part 2 (Dickerson 41 Sailboat)

A guided tour of the deck of Don and D's Dickerson 41 cruising sailboat 'Southern Cross.'

Don and D tell us about how they cracked their aluminum mast and then replaced it with a Selden roller furling mast.

We also look at Southern Cross' mast steps which were invented by Bernard Moitessier, and see an animation of his incredible record single handed circumnavigation.

·
Registered
24,012 Posts
Very notable discussion of in-mast furling. I completely agree with them. Original mast furling was a mess and I know several that still have it. At best, they work with new sails, but get very cranky as the sail stretches or if you don't furl them up with precise pressure.

Today's are remarkably more reliable. I loved to hear them describe the vast advice they received on whether to go with mast furling. Half were in favor, half were not. Then, when asked who had experience with mast furling, the half opposed had none. Love it.

Nice job, Drake.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Part 3 of a guided tour of the deck of Don and D's Dickerson 41 cruising sailboat 'Southern Cross.'

We look at Southern Cross' custom bimini rain catcher, their ingenious installation of Kyocera solar panels, their multiple uses for the mizzen running backstay, their use of sampson posts instead of cleats, how they use engine room ventilation exhaust for cockpit heating, and much much more.

Don and D also give some great advice on letting the boat teach you what it needs.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hi Minnewaska, I filmed this last March in Oriental, NC, and finished filming just 6 days before Monique and I pushed off aboard our Westsail 42 'Paragon' to spend the next 6 months sailing over 6000 nautical miles to Iceland. We are now spending 6 months in Reykjavik, Iceland editing video every day. We hope to publish 1 new video every Tuesday of everything that's happened since we left Oriental...

Don and D are in Oriental and have done tons of work to Southern Cross since the tour. I think they are planning to start their next big voyage this Summer.

Thank you for sailing with us,

Drake

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
video: Cabin Tour of Southern Cross, Part 1

We look at Southern Cross' beautiful dragon carvings, the galley, the massive storage lockers, the structural members of the wood hull, an ingenious custom salon table design, sea berths, the propane fireplace and much much more.

Don and D also talk about the different Dickerson 41 layouts, the annual Dickerson Rendezvous, and their incredible voyage to the Macareo River in Veneuzela.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
video: Cabin Tour of Southern Cross, Part 2 (Dickerson 41 Sailboat)
Part 2 of a guided tour of the cabin of Don and D's Dickerson 41 cruising sailboat 'Southern Cross.'

We look at Southern Cross' deck and cabin top construction, the remodeling of the forward head, anchor chain storage, the electrical panel, the navigation station, the non-electric and very reliable tank tender and much much more.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey Drake,

I was watching the video and I was wondering if you have any similar footage from Paragon. It would be interesting to see how you have your own boat set up and what you did special to prepare for your trip.

-Argyle

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Drake,

I was watching the video and I was wondering if you have any similar footage from Paragon. It would be interesting to see how you have your own boat set up and what you did special to prepare for your trip.

-Argyle
Hi Argyle, thanks,

I've wanted to make a video tour of Paragon for so long... but for the past 7 months I've been too busy just filming our own voyage and also many interviews and tours of other cruising boats we've met along the way. There's a ton of footage of Paragon, including lots of stories of maintenance work and also equipment breakdowns with us figuring out how to fix stuff to before continuing on. We broke our steering cables shortly after pushing off from Greeland and had to return to the weather station by emergency tiller to fix it, and somehow we managed to film everything.

I can't wait to start publishing the episodes in January.

happy sailing,

Drake

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cabin Tour of Southern Cross, Part 3

We look at Southern Cross' engine room and aft cabin, and meet Joe Clay, the shipwright who has been working on Southern Cross in Oriental, North Carolina.

·
Registered
24,012 Posts
What they are doing is outstanding. I don't think I would have the patience for such an extensive refit. Seems like one hundred simultaneous projects.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

In the last episode of our Southern Cross boat tour series, we look at Southern Cross' autopilot, steering quadrant, emergency tiller, and SCUBA equipment. Don and D tell about using Southern Cross as a dive boat in Bonaire, using their Hookah to scrub the hull, how they conserve fuel, and about Blondie Hasler's invention of the wind vane.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts