SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sailor
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a cruise with a stopover behind Gwynn Island and would like to explore Gwynn Island. What would be the places not to be missed?

Tod

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I can't offer much input but would love to hear about your experience afterwards.

If you look at the bottom picture in the link Cam provided you'll see Stove Point with Fishing Bay to the left side and Jackson creek to the right at the top center. In the second picture from the bottom you can see Stingray and Windmill Points. I sail out of Stingray Point and my boat is currently on land off Jackson creek. There are so many nice anchorages in the area we haven't made the effort to get over behind Gwynn's but might like to one of these days.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Tod,
I live 5 mles fm Gywnn's Island and I agree with camaraderie there's not much to see or for that part, to go out and eat at. You might want to go visit / anchor in the harbor at Deltaville instead, it's got a little bit of room and if you take your dinghy to shore you can call Taylor's resturant and they'll come and get you. There are a lot more there than at Gwynn's island by a long shot.

Good Luck,

Mike & Glinda
s/v Blue Bayou

·
purveyor of mischief
533 Posts
skip Gwynn's Island..do fishing bay instead

having sailed and lived in that area since the early 70's, i concur with cam and mike..long ago when the islander was alive, i'd say go for it. now it is almost strictly residential in the middle of nowhere. there is interesting history about Lord Dunmore and his ilk..but that's about it.
i'd opt for any place in fishing bay (d'ville)..taylor's (or Miss Taylors as we all knew it growing up) is mostly fried seafood. at one time it was an ayce place that was pretty good..changed hands i believe many years back, and not as good.
try catching some fish or crabs there and cook yourself. the piankatank is the only unpolluted river in the commonwealth (iirc)...
my $.02, adjusted for inflation

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I have to agree that Taylors is not my favorite place in D'ville. Its not bad, they just can't seem to get it all together, and we usually choose one of the other places in town. Cucomo's, The Galley, or Toby's are all better places. Bella's Pizza is the newest place in town and is a welcome addition and there is a new place called Sunset grill opening where the old Sandy Bottom Market was. Its kind of strange that a place as small as D'ville has so many good places to eat.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Tod,
I should have though a bit more before I recomended Taylor's to you. When Chris the owner, who is from Richmond, VA took over it wasn't too bad, but after awhile things went down hill, one of the things I really missed was the Sunday brunch. It might be that some of there waitresses are a little long in the tooth (she's been for 35 yrs) and they can be a bit on the "lets hurry up with this order, bub".
I can't say don't go there but, there are other restaurants you could do better at.

Take Care,

Mike

·
SV Skalliwag #141
744 Posts
The best part of going to Gwenn Island is transversing the swing bridge and talking to the bridge operator if you have kids. Not many bridges like this one left in the US.

·
"Nevis Nice"
224 Posts
There's a nice little museum on the island. It's on the main road, a bit after the sharp turn at the cemetery. But that's about it.

Most of the charm of Gwynn's Island is the people. My family used to vacation there when I was a teenager. We stayed in an old clapboard house on Barnes Creek. A local waterman named Fossie Smith kind of adopted us, and taught me a lot about the Bay, including how to scull a crab skiff.

You can't really get the flavor of the island by being there for just a day or two.

·
Sailor
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your responses! I must admit that Gwynn Island looks more than it is. At this point, we are changing our plans to go to Fishing Bay for a raft-up and then we have reservations at Deltaville Marina in Jackson Creek for July 4. Don't know yet what we are going to do about dinner - probably a cookout at the marina. Maybe go in to Deltaville for the fireworks and baseball game.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, can anyone tell me about the Islander on Gwynn's? Is it still in operation? What was it like back in the day? Does anyone know who the owner is? We sailed by they other day and am intrigued...I am a writer and would love some background on this spot if anyone has anything! much appreciated!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts