SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1984 Beneteau First has a cast iron fin keel. The bottom of the keel has a void in it. The bottom of the keel currently has a flexible piece of metal (consistency of sheet metal) on it, and there is a split from front to back (again, on the keel bottom). Sorry, I don't have a picture to show as the keel is sitting on the rack and is difficult to get visual on it.

I am guessing that this void is due to galvanic corrosion. Here are a few questions:

1. Do you agree with my assessment?
2. If not, do you have any ideas what might have caused this?
3. Is this issue of a void common or very unusual?
4. For repair, should the material be ground back to the solid iron, smoothed, and then coated?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
My 1984 Beneteau First has a cast iron fin keel. The bottom of the keel has a void in it. The bottom of the keel currently has a flexible piece of metal (consistency of sheet metal) on it, and there is a split from front to back (again, on the keel bottom). Sorry, I don't have a picture to show as the keel is sitting on the rack and is difficult to get visual on it.

I am guessing that this void is due to galvanic corrosion. Here are a few questions:

1. Do you agree with my assessment?
2. If not, do you have any ideas what might have caused this?
3. Is this issue of a void common or very unusual?
4. For repair, should the material be ground back to the solid iron, smoothed, and then coated?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Absent a photo, it is difficult to comment very intelligently, but you may be looking at a former mounting for a lead shoe that has since been removed. Lead shoes or a "sabot" were in vogue in the late '70's early '80's as a means of increasing ballast, lowering a boats CG and adding "stiffness". In any case, Beneteau cast iron keels are quite robust and easily repaired/reconditioned.

FWIW...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Then, maybe it isn't galvanic corrosion. Guess I'll get the angle grinder out and start exploring. I can get to some of the keel bottom to, at least, grind through the "loose" metal that looks like sheet metal. Maybe it is a piece of sheet metal.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Thanks for the response. Then, maybe it isn't galvanic corrosion. Guess I'll get the angle grinder out and start exploring. I can get to some of the keel bottom to, at least, grind through the "loose" metal that looks like sheet metal. Maybe it is a piece of sheet metal.
Geeze.. get a camera! Sounds like a serious issue!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll get a few pictures and fire up this thread again. I won't be there for a couple of weeks. I really appreciate the interest.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts