SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2003 Bavaria 44 and will like to know as much as possible before I buy the boat. This bat has a Volvo D2-55 auxiliary with 600hrs. Is there anything in particular that I should be aware of about this type of engine?

Labestia
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Shocking... shocking!!!!.... spare parts prices, and as the engine gets older, they lay it on thicker.

In 1997, for a motor that was (then) 20 years old, the Volvo MD17C, they wanted £1300 for an exhaust manifold, £300 for a piston (and liner.... no choice, you have got to buy both, according to them), £50 for a final drive seal, £8 for an exhaust gasket (you need 3).

A similar-looking manifold from a Lister-Petter motor was £185.... 1/7 of the cost of the Volvo manifold.

Those are pounds, too. Back then it was about 1.7$ to the pound.

Check out some of the prices, before you think of buying it.

I would never buy another boat with a Volvo in it.

Never.

I remember the morning that I called up the importer and they confirmed that the exhaust manifold was £1300. They gave me the run-around when I complained, citing that it was an "old" engine (20 years old, is "old" apparently). Maybe they are not meant to last that long.

I will never forgive it, either, and if you buy a boat with a Volvo in it my friend, you go into that deal with your eyes wide open. It's best you don't learn it they way some have, and I did, because you will not be in forgiving mood either.

Next motor will be a Kubota, probably the Beta Marine version.

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,970 Posts
The D series of engines are very well built and have a good reputation. If taken care of it should be good for many thousand hours. Volvo builds good engines, there are thousands of boats that are 30-40 years old with the original engines still going strong. Parts prices on the older engines are extremely expensive but I have found that, in general, parts prices on the current engines are comparable to Yanmar and John Deere.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
And what happens when the current engines get older?

What will be different then? The attitude? The cost?

Volvo have suddenly reformed? I wonder?

I hope it's going to be different for Labestia, or he is going to rue being anywhere near that green money pit, and was forewarned, Dec 2008.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts