SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The housing of the transmission on my MD7A is cracked and leaking water. I was wondering if anyone has experience with running the transmission without water cooling? Terrible idea?

·
Registered
67 Posts
DON'T DO IT! unless you want to buy a new one....you might try what a friend did temporarily...he cleaned off all the paint and took it to bare metal, then made a "scab" patch with JB Weld...held for the season till he had a chance to have it welded professionally when he took it out and had it on the hard for the winter...Good Luck

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,264 Posts
I'd probably try something like that myself (JB weld it) but only after confirming that the water leaks externally and not internally as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I did put some of that underwater epoxy stuff over the crack and it slowed the leak down to a slow drip. Should get me through this season. I'll keep an eye on the oil for signs of water contamination. I see no oil in the water, so I figure that's a good sign.

simpsoned, Do you happen to know what your friend paid for that and what the outcome was (ie did the weld hold up over time). Cast iron is a pain to weld correctly. I had been thinking of trying to find a used one to swap in this winter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts