SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Volvo Ocean Race happens to be one of the races that i like to follow. These people go thru the worst and exhibit some of the best seamanship.

Volvo Ocean Race

Now i wonder if it will have a future after this year. It has gone one design.
Will this stifle new designs for the future?
Will the serious compeitors stay away? (the french)
One builder? What about other builders? One designer? Farr

I hear the back ground chatter. - This will make the playing field more equal. This isn't the olympics.

The new design. More photogenic? (the bow) Really.
A boat that is more gender nuetral? Huh, Thought sailboats were pretty nuetral. I understand the strength aspect, but, really? I'm thinking they should make it so kids can sail it.
:confused:

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
It seems they have chosen Farr as designer because JK boats have dominated and won the two last editions. Twisted logic:rolleyes:

They wanted to cut costs and the best way was to force all the last editions boats out...and substitute it all by new boats that will be probably be slower. Not too smart in my opinion.

They stopped boat evolution under the pretext that it would be cheaper, but the boat is only a small part of the costs of training and running a pro team for more then a year with all the logistic associated for that and the race.

They said:

"The one-design concept introduced in June 2012 is all about broadening the platform for entry to the world's toughest offshore race and helping to increase the size of the fleet - without sacrificing the quality of this unique event. "

But with only 10 months to go only one boat is on the water (the Chinese one) while only three more teams announcing their participation : The Girls (SCA), Abu Dhabi, and a Dutch team (Brunel). With the previous boats out of the race it will be needed time for building a new one...and training with it so the time is running out.

I don't see more entries than on the last edition and all with equal boats I don't think the quality would be the same. .

I am very happy that Open boats (Imoca) did not went the same way but only with a standard keel and mast. Old boats will continue to race with their keels and masts with the added advantage that the new boats have to be a lot better in what regards hulls to beat the disadvantage of weight towards the old boats...and the old boats will not be as out of the game as they used to be.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paulo, I was looking forward to your input. My thoughts exactly.

I have no issue with one design when it's a popular boat. I just would like to see all the designers when it comes to the big races.

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Paulo, I was looking forward to your input. My thoughts exactly.

I have no issue with one design when it's a popular boat. I just would like to see all the designers when it comes to the big races.

I like one design racing, they provide great racing but I don't think they are suitable for top racing classes: Can you imagine F1, 24 hours of Le mans, Indianapolis, Moto GP or even the Paris Dakar with one class? One class is for Formula Renault or other formula cars that provide great racing with lower costs and provide the learning needed for the best to access the top racing classes.

One of the big problems of sail racing is the poor definition of what are the top classes. VOR was certainly one of them, with all this I am convinced that it lost potential as one and it will continue to be one (or not) depending of the racing status of the ones that will race it. For now things don't look good regarding the status of the crews and the Girls risk to win that race without too much competition:D

Regards

Paulo

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One class is for ............. provide the learning needed for the best to access the top racing classes.
Right on the money. Who is running the show on these races? Do they see something that the rest of us don't?

I have the feeling that they think that they will generate more entrants for the Volvo. Unfortunately; these people need to go back to business school. This won't work. No competition means less entrants.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts