SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Positions have changed dramatically during the previous 24 hrs.

The blue boat is loosing speed and becomes parked.

To View Visit

World wide Marine all local world weather zones

and scroll to

OTHER PASSAGE WEATHER AND WORLDWIDE WEATHER GLOBAL LINKS

Shows wind velocity and tracks better they the official tracker.

Click on hyper linked New Metro earth Interactive weather site with Yacht Race tracker. Allow Time To Load

·
Banned
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The First Three boats are at port stations Cape Town SA.

Team Brunel Third.

The American skippered boat and the American Girls vessel still sailing and could beat the NZ Blue Boat.

The NZ Blue boat going real slow and taking a hammering.

·
Banned
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marine Disaster strikes again the Volvo Ocean Race.

Have they not heard about the facilities on Garmin GPS's For hazard waypoints to avoid such groundings accidents and a navigation safety feature. There should be provision for 100 such hazard waypoints for such long passages in my opinion.

Race reports See

Race organises media reports

Had Both rudders damaged apparently as proximate storm damage cause.

:)

·
Banned
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Volvo Ocean Race Lastest and interviews and THE CALL

Marine Disaster strikes again the Volvo Ocean Race.

Have they not heard about the facilities on Garmin GPS's For hazard waypoints to avoid such groundings accidents and a navigation safety feature. There should be provision for 100 such hazard waypoints for such long passages in my opinion.

Race reports See

Race organises media reports

Had Both rudders damaged apparently as proximate storm damage cause.

30 November 2014, 06:11 UTC

The Call and the Interview with Will Oxley

Team Alvimedica

Link interviews Page

Great Reading

·
Banned
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What does this mean?
I'm surprised you don't know what this means. Have you actually plotted a course [ route ] using electronic maps and GPS's ?

What does this mean?
I'm surprised you don't know what this means. Have you actually plotted a course [ route ] using electronic maps and GPS's ?

Most GPS,s mine does a Garmin.

When doing a route with all the waypoints [ could be 46 waypoints ] for the intended track from the paper charts cords LAT and Long to three decimal's places you then scan the paper charts with the path drawn - connected [on the paper charts] and observe the hazards to which ever distance the nav - skipper deems prudent to avoid, either side, in case crew fall asleep - making coffee etc. or to alert them for extra care near hazards. To do this obtain the co ords lat and longitude from the paper charts of all the hazards the vessel is going to pass close by and then enter the hazard waypoint list [GPS] and place / enter them with a code or name for the hazard [ as separate waypoints] re enter the waypoints the distance you want a alarm to sound - flash should the vessel enter the area between the hazard and the waypoint lat and longs co ordinances when using / navigating with the highway route page - screen. The hazards [ icon ] also appear automatically on the highway route path page and the marks you want to be the closest distance to.

Hazards waypoints are there permanently until removed from the list.

This is also can be done using C maps. When the route is completed, [check the route ] there is provision for the programme to scan / check [ scan route ] the route highway co ordinates path both sides simultaneously .

highway path width distance say =.250 nms

and highlights - pauses for a carry on command from the nearby hazard.

With the paper chart co ords you will notice that you are on land or on a reef at close distances, which gives you an indication that they are not accurate unless on harbour or coastal feature charts, near a shipping lane or port. Every astute navigator that uses "C" maps knows that, if plotting the information from recent dated paper charts lat & Long are adjusted for the magnetic variations annually and your GPS is adjusted to the Chart Datum like WGS 84.

The paper charts Co ords are entered [ Not so many meters from the electronic chart impression ]

C maps and electronic charts are not accurate unless on a commercial shipping lane or a commercial PORT land harbour. [ Harbour mode ]. [Coastal Mode] near a shipping lane or Commercial shipping land port. All other modes are way inaccurate.

Using the hazard way points from the paper charts show the actual position on the e chats "C" maps particularly at a time with the most satellites recognised or orientated. The More Satellites the More you can have confidence particularly if 8 or more satellites are align and the united states military are not engaged on a air strike attack or the with Iraq - Afghanistan Talban non or official fighters are about to attacked US Troops or US friendlies. The Us can manipulate the GPS Co ords or even turn them off. [The Skipper was not an American but who knows ? Which boats have Americans aboard and which that do not?]

The electronic charts can be adjusted if aligned with the port land leading markers, [ snail trail ] but that is visual and not satellite pin pointed but narrows the inaccuracy, depending on your eye sight and the helmsman steering a straight course during the exercise [Wheel or Tiller ].

·
3,505 Posts
The navigator was an Aussie, makes sense now....

·
Banned
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The navigator was an Aussie, makes sense now....
Are you Sure.

Wouter Verbraak

Team Vestas Wind Navigator

Netherlands

2 Previous Volvo Ocean Races

1 America's Cup campaign

Date of Birth: November 16, 1975

In: Status: Married, one son, one dog

Something about him that you don't know: Wouter loves skiing with his family. Unfortunately missing out on this year s skiing means he will never keep up with his 10 year old son' s 93km/hr skiing!

He speaks: Dutch and English. [Goodness ]

Who he is: Wouter has competed in the Volvo Ocean Race twice, the America's Cup, the 2011 Barcelona World Race and all world major regattas. ????

·
Banned
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Banned
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
oh fer crying out loud you have got to be kidding me.
I kid you not. I freely admit I don't know yes every thing.

Why have all that expensive satellite equipment and their shore crew are allowed to have direct contact to the internet, then they analyse information the [shore crew] and send via satellite to their ship / race boat at set given times. It is still out side help is it not - yes. Don't tell me you would be able to see where the other race boats are. So what. [ They can see what the other navigators are doing and can here their discussions ] This is a one class design boat race, which means you can't throw the boat on to another faster mode to catch them. They could easily apply the same time restrictions the shore crew have.

If vestas had on direct access perhaps they would not have hit the reef.

So please what the reason. Surely that's what forums are for.

·
El Chupa Nibre
197 Posts
I kid you not. I freely admit I don't know yes every thing.

So please what the reason. Surely that's what forums are for.

OK, in all seriousness I do not have first hand experience, but from what I understand using a satellite phone for internet isn't very reliable, and is very slow (and costly).

Take a look at this site, and the internet speeds (not to mention the cost, up to $20+ per megabyte! That means, to access your site, it could cost $200, and that's before clicking on one link!)

Maritime Satellite Internet for Ships, Boats, Yachts, Barges. FleetBroadband, Iridium, iDirect

·
Banned
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, in all seriousness I do not have first hand experience, but from what I understand using a satellite phone for internet isn't very reliable, and is very slow (and costly).

Take a look at this site, and the internet speeds (not to mention the cost, up to $20+ per megabyte! That means, to access your site, it could cost $200, and that's before clicking on one link!)

Maritime Satellite Internet for Ships, Boats, Yachts, Barges. FleetBroadband, Iridium, iDirect
You mean $200 to access a particular weather site. That was not a issue previously for round the world races. Previously they had to nomination and get approval to weather sites be fore each leg start. I can recall DALTON nominated about 10 - 14 Sites for the North Atlantic leg. So I do not believe costs is the reason because costs on their budgets would not be a problem, particularly the Arabs funded boats.

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
You still have the hazards waypoints which should automatically be entered on to the GFP'S LIST and give them a 8-10 nm avoidance factor. They would not have hit the reef if they had done that.

Does any body know the reasoning why they can't access the internet directly.?
It is my understanding that direct access to the internet is forbidden by the race rules. They are allowed to contact their "home base" for lack of better words for weather updates, etc...

-Chris

·
Banned
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
It is my understanding that direct access to the internet is forbidden by the race rules. They are allowed to contact their "home base" for lack of better words for weather updates, etc...

-Chris
Why not copy and paste the rule then.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts