1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Captain John
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
23,453 Posts
In the age of instant gratification and celebrity, the VOR provides neither. Mind you, it does to sailors, but to the mainstream, they can't see a winner in an hour or two at the pub, nor follow some sports personality smacking his wife or wearing his underwear on a billboard. People are too shallow for the VOR.

·
Captain John
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the women. But they need to pick up the speed.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Been watching since day 1. Great APP and excellent coverage for those that are interested. I plan to meet them in Newport next spring.
Jim

·
Captain John
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea the race is great and good coverage but it would be great if the newsmedia would talk about .. all we hear Iis shootings and other sports

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
The women did the last part of the first leg with a broken head. Used a bucket. Surely that's CNN-worthy.

:)

·
Captain John
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He'll ya. This women are tuff and i love it that they are in it .. can't wait for next leg. I'm playing the virtualregatta.com

·
Registered
267 Posts
With all the media and options on the boats this year, I do hope they do leg documentaries as they have before. As much as I like watching the play-by-play, I do love the full episodes too. I know there isn't the mainstream coverage out there, but I'm sure a lot of the people interested are already faithfully following the race, but I agree it'd be nice to see some more coverage to try to draw in some new viewers.

·
Registered
431 Posts
NBC Sports Network is running a weekly series on it. The first few shows had a lot of back story, but they are now starting to focus on the racing and maintenance setbacks more.
Found the schedule on their site:
Programs airing within the next 2 weeks
Sailing (Volvo Ocean Race: Race Around the World Weekly 5: Thu, Nov 13, 10:30 AM)
Sailing (Volvo Ocean Race: Race Around the World Weekly 6: Mon, Nov 17, 7:30 PM)
Sailing (Volvo Ocean Race: Race Around the World Weekly 7: Mon, Nov 24, 7:30 PM)
Volvo Ocean Race (TV Show)
Volvo Ocean Race (TV Show)

By the way, nice site CharlzO!

·
Captain John
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i cant believe the one Team ran aground that was such a violent hit ! i wonder how they dont have technology to see the reefs? that would be so scary out there in pitch black of darkness sailing fast and then all the sudden a major stoppage!

·
Captain John
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont know why the Women are so slow, they are doing 20 plus knots at times this Leg 3 is better then the last leg so far, we have better wind. We have a long ways to go is anyone playing the game? if so look me up "soulofasailor is my name

·
Captain John
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i AM getting killed in this game tho.. the wind swirls are so crazy out there

·
I can't re Member
217 Posts
Wow that's a lot of people hanging around on those boats. These guys (and girls) start in November. Here's the first weeks highlights from the last Vendee Globe in case anyone hasn't seen it. Grab a beer and some popcorn cause once you watch the first two week highlights you're glued for the rest of it.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJSEQ673PZk

goat

1 - 20 of 23 Posts