SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Captain John
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the world 71% covered in water and only 29% Earth . i wonder why the media isn't covering this race! We have for the first time some bad ass women racing against the boys in this extreme world out there!

Reactions: gestes59

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
In the age of instant gratification and celebrity, the VOR provides neither. Mind you, it does to sailors, but to the mainstream, they can't see a winner in an hour or two at the pub, nor follow some sports personality smacking his wife or wearing his underwear on a billboard. People are too shallow for the VOR.

·
Captain John
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the women. But they need to pick up the speed.

Reactions: gestes59

·
Captain John
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea the race is great and good coverage but it would be great if the newsmedia would talk about .. all we hear Iis shootings and other sports

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
The women did the last part of the first leg with a broken head. Used a bucket. Surely that's CNN-worthy.

:)

·
Captain John
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He'll ya. This women are tuff and i love it that they are in it .. can't wait for next leg. I'm playing the virtualregatta.com

·
Registered
266 Posts
With all the media and options on the boats this year, I do hope they do leg documentaries as they have before. As much as I like watching the play-by-play, I do love the full episodes too. I know there isn't the mainstream coverage out there, but I'm sure a lot of the people interested are already faithfully following the race, but I agree it'd be nice to see some more coverage to try to draw in some new viewers.

·
Registered
431 Posts
NBC Sports Network is running a weekly series on it. The first few shows had a lot of back story, but they are now starting to focus on the racing and maintenance setbacks more.
Found the schedule on their site:
Programs airing within the next 2 weeks
Sailing (Volvo Ocean Race: Race Around the World Weekly 5: Thu, Nov 13, 10:30 AM)
Sailing (Volvo Ocean Race: Race Around the World Weekly 6: Mon, Nov 17, 7:30 PM)
Sailing (Volvo Ocean Race: Race Around the World Weekly 7: Mon, Nov 24, 7:30 PM)
Volvo Ocean Race (TV Show)
Volvo Ocean Race (TV Show)

By the way, nice site CharlzO!

·
Captain John
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i cant believe the one Team ran aground that was such a violent hit ! i wonder how they dont have technology to see the reefs? that would be so scary out there in pitch black of darkness sailing fast and then all the sudden a major stoppage!

·
Captain John
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont know why the Women are so slow, they are doing 20 plus knots at times this Leg 3 is better then the last leg so far, we have better wind. We have a long ways to go is anyone playing the game? if so look me up "soulofasailor is my name

·
Captain John
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i AM getting killed in this game tho.. the wind swirls are so crazy out there

1 - 20 of 23 Posts