SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Volvo Penta 2002 engine in my Scanmar 31 from 1985. Does anyone know if it take a one pole or two pole starter?

Thanks,

Jose Sanji

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thank you, but I need to find the starter for my particular engine.
Right - There seems to be some variability (in this case there are one and 2 pole starters listed for the 2002). I have had pretty good luck finding the diagrams that best match what I see on my engine and identifying parts that way. I have not been able to find a list that cross-references things by serial number or date.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you; that is precisely my dilema. By looking at best as we can, we are tending towards a one pole starter. The other problem is that I don’t have a recognizable serial number for my engine... 2002, 1985 ...

thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... plus, we are not altogether sure how to clearly distinguish a one pole from a two pole volvo starter. Perhaps you could help ... It would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
588 Posts
... plus, we are not altogether sure how to clearly distinguish a one pole from a two pole volvo starter. Perhaps you could help ... It would be much appreciated!
That is an excellent question. So far I have been lucky enough not to have to replace the starter. However, you made me curious. Looking at this diagram (for the 2-pole system) it seems to indicate that the 2-poles are being replaced by 1-pole starters anyway. Volvo Penta Exploded view / schematic Electrical System and Instruments 2-pole Electrical System 2002 - MarinePartsEurope.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which would mean, as is my case, where the started is attached to the engine, that my 1985 Volvo Penta 2002 engine has a one pole starter ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.