SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have recently bought a 2007 Etap 37S with Volvo Penta sail drive. I'm wondering where the coolant level should be? When I top it up to the base of fill cap I notice it drops down about 1/2" after the engine has been running a few hours. Is this the normal level one should expect or does it look low?

thanks
jeff

Attachments

· Registered
17 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Normal if the overfill hose (orange) is open and no coolant recovery or overfill system fitted.
there is no overflow recovery system fitted, the orange hose just drains to a seacock. I assume then that everything is fine and just leave it as is? There has been no sign of overheating.

· Registered
2,273 Posts
Reaction score
Yes, coolant expands when hot and is lost out the overflow, usually 1/4 to 1/2 inch, if filled to top it will just be lost again when hot. Cars and trucks used to do the same until overflow tanks fitted, the overflow goes to tank then returns to exchanger when it cools and coolant level remains at full level in exchanger and no coolant lost to the environment.

· Registered
17 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, I would say that's what's happening and once it's lost 1/2" of fluid it maintains that level. Is there any advantage to adding the overflow tank or should I just leave it down 1/2" and not worry about it? No signs of overheating.

· Registered
2,273 Posts
Reaction score
Functionally it's fine Jeff, just leave 1/2" down, every car, truck, boat, tractor and bus used to have an open system like that. Only difference is coolant level can be checked by sight with overflow tank and you have to remove cap when cool to check level in yours.
It's also an anti pollution device to prevent anti freeze from being released, which will only happen if you overfill rather than leave that 1/2" expansion space.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts