SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I read another thread about a problem with water in the oil on an MD 7A and wondered if one need do anything special to clean out the lubrication system after finding the source of the water. Should you remove the bottom pan to clean the oil sump or just replaced filter and changed oil? I have "milky oil" but think I have solved the cause and want to clear the oil so I can find out if I'm right.

Also, does anyone have experience removing the oil pan on this engine? It does not seem to be simple as some engines.

Appreciate any help.
Chris

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'd just change the oil and filter, drain it as best you can, and then run it hard for a while. A tiny bit of water doesn't cause a problem as the heat of the engine will drive it off. In normal operation, an engine actually gets a lot of water in the oil from both combustion (when running) and condensation (while sitting) but this is driven off quickly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I pumped out the water and old oil and heated and drained the filler. Then I ran the engine for about a half hour before changing the oil again with a new filter. I'm going to run it some more before winter really sets in, but it's not so easy because all of this has been on land and I have to carry the water to the boat in buckets... I'll post how it goes later.

·
Registered
410 Posts
It may be hard or impossible to drive all of the water off on land, because the engine won't really warm up without a load.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was in Fall 2013. Just in case anyone reads this thread and wonders, after a full season in 2014 running the motor. There seems to be no more water coming in and the motor starts and runs fine. I don't usually use it for long periods – just five to ten minutes to get away from the dock and raise the sails. Once in a while I run it longer just so it will warm up and three or four times I ran for an hour of three when I wanted to go somewhere I couldn't sail. I do have a new problem but will post that on a new thread.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Thanks for posting the update. Glad it all worked out for you. And good luck with the new problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts