SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil leak in my Volvo Penta 2003. It leaks whether or not the engine is running but worse when it is. I now need to clean below the left side of the engine every day I use the boat. In the photos I have identified where the leak is visible. As you can see the oil drips down behind the engine suspension frame. I cannot see where the leak originates above the suspension frame. As you can see the frame has removed the paint on the engine block at that point. Would there be any way that the vibration or the grinding together has caused a crack in the engine block that has led to this leak? I see no signs of any crack or damage to the block.

I had suspected that the gasket for the timing gear casing is the problem. I did tighten some of the screws for that unit which led to the leak getting worse. This would seem to reinforce the idea that the it is the gasket. However, as mentioned, i cannot find a specific are of that seal that is leaking oil.

I would appreciate any ideas you may have.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Look for the highest point you see oil on the engine. it might be helpful to clean the engine with a degreaser for engines like Gunk first.Then run it.If its coming high on the engine,valve cover gaskets are a very common leak source. Look very closely after cleaning and running the engine. Youll find it. Oil Pressure sending units are also likely oil leak culperts as are oil pan gaskets and oil pans themselves in marine inboards and any hp oil lines if the engine isso equipped.

Good Luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure that this particular engine has an oil sender unit.
Can anyone suggest a way I can briefly lift the engine to look behind the suspension frame? That way I can see where the drip is originating from. How often should one replace the pads that are part of the suspension unit? Perhaps I could do both at the same time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts