SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with the Volvo Penta outboard motors?

I have found a 9 hp one in good condition that I am considering.

TIA

Rob

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had a 9hp Volvo on a Catalina 25 for about 8 years. Good engine, but somewhat difficult to start when hot. Other than that, the alternator works great and the engine is light weight. Dick Elliott.

·
Registered
1 Posts
volvo penta 90 model

hello I have a 90 model volvo penta and iam in the process of rebuilding it from scratch upwards i need to find parts can you recomend any one who might have a thermostat i have found an impellor from cms marrine i could do with a new set of contacts as well andrew

·
Registered
2 Posts
VP90 sail

I have a VP 90 Sail.
Also hard to start when hot. Do these motors have points?
When I drained the gear lube, it came out very black. If it had synthetic lube, do I need to continue using synthetic?

·
Registered
2 Posts
volvo penta outboard

This VP 90 outboard was last serviced by a boat yard. When I drained the the gear lube, it came out very black. The gears do not appear worn and no grit or metal flakes.
It would be a great help if you could ask your friend if his lube drains out black and what he uses when changing his gear lube.
Beginning Connecticut boater.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a volvo penta 90 sail outboard motor. i cant find any info on this motor by google etc. can anyone point me in the right direction. i want to sell the motor, but would like to get an idea first. Thx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with the Volvo Penta outboard motors?

I have found a 9 hp one in good condition that I am considering.

TIA

Rob
I ALSO HAVE A 9HP LAYING IN MY GARAGE HASN'T RUN IN 4 YEARS I GOT MY PARTS FROM FRENCH CREEK MARINA IN THE USA

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ALSO HAVE A 9HP LAYING IN MY GARAGE HASN'T RUN IN 4 YEARS I GOT MY PARTS FROM FRENCH CREEK MARINA IN THE USA
I purchaed o 9.9 evinrude so i don't need it any more it was a good motor when i was running only problem the cylinder o rings went i repalced them and they are fine now\\

·
Registered
1 Posts
i got a 9.9 140 cc from 1978. It has a hard time starting when cold and starts on half a pull when warm/hot. What's the best oil to use, when my late father bought it he never left me a manual for it. Synthetic or non. Thanks in advance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts