SailNet Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent a E-Mail to W D Schock about some specifications for my 25' Santana and they never answered me.
So I went on to there facebook page and put a picture of my boat and a comment. "See Below"

D Schock has been around for sometime, I have a 1973 25' Santana that has been lots of fun. Sad thing is, I wrote to them asking for info. I can understand that they may not have it.
You would think they could E-Mail me back and let me know it.
Nothing is what I received back from them.
I guess they only care about the new boats they sell. Kind of sad.
Well in with the new and out with the old.
Here is a picture of her and when I purchased her 4 years ago she had Auckland on her stern. Wonder if she made the trip there or back?

Here was there reply!
After they removed my post from there Facebook page.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
W D Schock Performance Sailboats
we get hundreds of such requests each month who want free information or data. We also get thousands of requests per month from boat owners that want to buy parts for their legacy boats. Guess who gets support - the freeloaders or the customers ?
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Not too sure I want to ever be a customer of there's.
Nice boat, bad support.:(

Attachments

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
the Schock family are great people. I worked for them when I was a kid. they no longer own Schock boats and I guess the the new owners just do not get it. support your owners or don't, get return customers or don't

·
Registered
37 Posts
I sent a E-Mail to W D Schock about some specifications for my 25' Santana and they never answered me.
So I went on to there facebook page and put a picture of my boat and a comment. "See Below"

Here was there reply!
After they removed my post from there Facebook page.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
W D Schock Performance Sailboats
we get hundreds of such requests each month who want free information or data. We also get thousands of requests per month from boat owners that want to buy parts for their legacy boats. Guess who gets support - the freeloaders or the customers ?
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Not too sure I want to ever be a customer of there's.
Nice boat, bad support.:(
Wow .. how rude. I guess once you buy their boat you're on your own. I can't believe the "Company" would support such a response. You should forward this to the corporate office .. maybe marketing.

Hopefully someone here will have the info you need .. some really great resources here.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never said I asked for free advice, Here is what I asked for:

Do you have the rig tension specs. for a 1973 25' Santana?
A PDF of the owners Manual would be great.
The Boats name is Eos

If you have any personal History or files of the boat please send it.
It has a Port of Auckland on the aft and a sticker on it from Missoula Mt. "Flat Head Lake"
Guess it has been around a little bit.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Wow .. how rude. I guess once you buy their boat you're on your own. I can't believe the "Company" would support such a response. You should forward this to the corporate office .. maybe marketing.

Hopefully someone here will have the info you need .. some really great resources here.

Good Luck!
corporate office? you make it seem like there is more the one person in their office.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts

The Boats name is Eos

It has a Port of Auckland on the aft and a sticker on it from Missoula Mt. "Flat Head Lake"
This is exactly how you worded your request? With this tone?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, should it have been different. I was hoping they had the info on file or if not, a no info on file would have been fine.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
Just seems a bit like a demand to me. I guess I would have thrown in a "I'd appreciate it if you could..." or a "Would it be possible for you to provide me with..."

But that's just me. Everyone is different.

But, if I had been on the receiving end of that request, I would have probably ignored you, too. Or, moved you to the end of my To Do list.

·
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24
473 Posts
Yeah I cannot imagine management being OK with that return. The po of my morgan24/25 (1968) gave me a large folio of material on the boat mostly provided to him over the years by Catalina who went out of their way to search out material on the old Morgans for him and many others who had written in. That really impressed me . I would never approach any of them brusquely but with appreciation for time and trouble. Along the way I've had the help of many as I have upgraded the boat . Thankfully most boat builders and boating folk are generous and helpful (patient too)...sorry for your experience but suggest a graceful work around might work ....if not there are other source!

·
Registered
735 Posts

Good Luck!
I agree that the response was un-businesslike, but did you read the rude post that the OP posted on the company's Facebook page? (The post here is easy to misunderstand as a gripe to us sail netters, but he is quoting what he posted on the company's Facebook page).

OP, if you want somebody to do something for you, especially something that is more or less optional, then be nice about it all the way through. The first time you go rude (apparently in your case that was after your first communication) you give them an easy excuse to say no. Why not follow up with a polite phone call instead?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree that the response was un-businesslike, but did you read the rude post that the OP posted on the company's Facebook page? (The post here is easy to misunderstand as a gripe to us sail netters, but he is quoting what he posted on the company's Facebook page).

OP, if you want somebody to do something for you, especially something that is more or less optional, then be nice about it all the way through. The first time you go rude (apparently in your case that was after your first communication) you give them an easy excuse to say no. Why not follow up with a polite phone call instead?
Agreed, he could, and should, have worded his request better. And while requesting an owners manual seems reasonable, having records on that specific boat probably unlikely at best. I was a bit surprised by the numbers in the reply .. 100's a month for info and 1000's a month for parts .. that's a lot of requests! Their production page says the built about 5000 boats, just seems an excessive ratio of requests for parts .. every month.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Agreed, he could, and should, have worded his request better.
That may be true, but I am referring to his post on their Facebook page when they didn't respond. In part, "I guess they only care about the new boats they sell. Kind of sad. Well in with the new and out with the old." As I said, in the post here it looks like he's just griping to us on this forum. But he's actually quoting what he wrote on the company's Facebook page, apparently after a single email asking them for information.

·
2,449 Posts
Maybe the OP could have been more polite. But now he's on SailNet talking about Schock's poor customer service.

All Schock had to do was send a PDF with rig specs and an owner's manual PDF (if they had it).

That's not such a high bar to make him happy customer. :rolleyes:

Reactions: northoceanbeach

·
Registered
37 Posts

The Boats name is Eos

I doubt anyone is going to have personal history files on your specific boat. However a simple search did provide a link to an owners manual and a group of Santana enthusiasts .. go to SANTANA 525 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com for basics (I assume that's your boat) and then follow the Angelfire link at the bottom. They should be able to help you but do word your request with more "please" , "if possible", "I'd really appreciate" type wordage if you want their help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know. I sent a request for part for my Lido 14, built in 1962 and was forwarded to the correct department with a note saying "We support all our boats".

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Yeah, i call this one a draw. you sent an email, and got no answer. Now, personally, when that happens to me, i figure maybe it got lost in spam, or i sent it to the wrong address...
so i send it again, with NOTSPAM in the subject line and a receipt request.
If I'm still ignored, okay, now I might go public...
...in a diplomatic way.
if i am STILL ignored, okay, NOW it gets dramatic.
You might have skipped a few steps.

The company did themselves no favours in their response, but I can almost understand the thinking- Really, you're never going to buy a new boat from them and they know they are never going to sell you a new boat, so, in their mind they didn't lose a customer and may have saved themselves some time and trouble from those damn pesky "legacy" customers.

It's too bad when manufacturers forget what "legacy" means.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That may be true, but I am referring to his post on their Facebook page when they didn't respond. In part, "I guess they only care about the new boats they sell. Kind of sad. Well in with the new and out with the old." As I said, in the post here it looks like he's just griping to us on this forum. But he's actually quoting what he wrote on the company's Facebook page, apparently after a single email asking them for information.
Oh, I didn't get that impression. I thought that "care about new .." comment was for us, not what he put on their facebook page. eek! not good. Well, he learned a good lesson today if nothing else. :) They all failed, right Smack!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well I'm with those of you that feel both bigbird and Schock were politically incorrect.

If bigbird really wanted Schock's help it would have been less grating to not make statements like "I guess they only care about the new boats they sell. Kind of sad." on facebook a very public forum.

Now that the gauntlet was thrown Schock calling bigbird a "freeloader" was a politically incorrect term even if accurate. He was asking for free help but the term freeloader also has other connotations that are rather negative.

Could it have been handled better by both parties? Possibly.

Anyway thanks for the entertainment. :)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.