SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the w18 runs fine at all rpms in neutral,but when she goes into gear she,ll run for an hour,sometimes less in gear then start to bogg down.When I take it out of gear she may recover and come back up to running RPM,or die.
If I restart and let her run at 1000rpm for a minute then back down to idle and put her in gear, throttle up to 1800-2000 rpm she'll go for awhile then might do the same or not.
I just replaced the old Fram water/seperator which had a new filter in it,and was doing this,with a new racor 500 and new fuel line from the engine back to where the old fram was coupled together. The old 5/16" fuel line going to the tank is pretty stiff,could it possible be an issue? Or the new line to soft and colapsing from suction,doesnt seem likely though.
The two filters on the engine were just replaced. Could the fuel pump be the cause?
Any ideas?

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
Screen on the pick up tube that goes in the tank If there is grudge in the tank it's in the rubber lines how old is your tank?

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
If you didnt have such a problem before you changed, etc. the filters, then go back and 're-set' and check all the gaskets and O-rings on the filters. You most likely 'pinched' a gasket or Oring when you put the filters back together. Easy to 'pinch' the gaskets when reinstalling.

Be sure you 'lubricate' the gaskets and Orings with fuel oil when reinstalling..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure how old the tank is probably atleast 15 years. To get to it I'd have to pull off the countertop and face panel,bit of a chore but can be done.
I did see a few posts about the fuel lift pumps going bad.Possible that could be going? Its got to be atleast 20 years old,orginal to the engine.
I'll have to check the lift pump filter and the engine filter gaskets, although they are pretty fool proof going on.
Thanks for the ideas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.