SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, lets see them. Who has a wall sized TV.
I will not discriminate, your wall can be any size.
We are planning about a 40-55" TV for our salon wall.
An LED unit with Wi-Fi, and all the goodies.
Just curious who else has one?
Any recommendations, or horror stories?
We are looking at a 240HZ, 3D capable, and maybe 4K but we will see where prices are in 6 months.
I am hoping that black Friday brings the first 4K tv sale, maybe $999? who knows!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-49-class-48-1-2-diag--led-4k-ultra-hd-tv-2160p-120hz-smart-3d-hdtv/3894006.p?id=1219094472073&skuId=3894006&st=pcmcat205800050000_categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=1

·
Registered
44 Posts
We don't watch "TV", but we LOVE watching movies. So I installed the largest TV I could manage for our 1983 Slocum 43. After some research, I picked the Samsung model here:

Amazon.com: Samsung UN40F5500 40-Inch 1080p 60Hz Slim Smart LED HDTV (2013 Model): [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51hizuhju6L

Frankly, I don't like the higher refresh rates like 120hz or 240hz. They make movies look like they were shot on videotape for TV.

The TV is a little wider than I would like, but I think we'll manage just fine.

For sound, we went with the Amazon.com: VIZIO S3821w-C0 38-inch 2.1 Home Theater Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@31L3c5--VpL

I wired HDMI and an extension cord to the bulkhead where the TV and sound bar were mounted and electric to the subwoofer that I installed under the Salon table. Works great! Not exactly surround sound, but good enough for us.

Attachments

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,117 Posts
You need to remember the bigger the screen the greater the watts. We have a 19" and that uses about 3Ah of juice.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice install mycroft.
For sound I brought my amp from home.
Its an awesome sony ES amp. I paid $4500 for it, so I couldn't just sell it for what little I am sure its worth used. We are going to hook up some bose cubes to it for surround sound.
We don't watch TV either, just movies, The TV will be hoked to our PC thats being installed in the other room, under the bed. Also the TV will be used to display photos, and edit our video blogs.

Simon V
The LED tv that is 48" uses 60 watts. VIZIO E-Series 48? Class Full-Array LED Smart TV | E480i-B2 | VIZIO
With 1000AH bank, we should be fine, even when using the big amp, and the big pc. those are the real power users.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I used to have one on the salon wall (and a smaller one on the wall of the main stateroom). We used them to watch movies, but I took them both out when we got back from our cruise because I didn't see us using them much on day trips and weekend trips.

Reactions: mgmhead

·
Registered
25,125 Posts
I don't even know what 4k is.......... ��

I am looking far and wide for a 22" TV that has two critical features. It's must run on 12volts and it must have the standard female mounting holes directly on the back of the unit, so it can be screwed flush onto the wooden bulkhead.

Of course, it must receive a digital antenna signal, but we're not too hung up on picture quality, as long as it is not bad. Seems nearly all digital led/LCD sets are good these days. If it can run a Bluetooth speaker, that would be a bonus.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't even know what 4k is.......... ��
Its like HD, but more.

tube TV x 4 = HD x 4 = 4K or UHD.
If you don't have really keen eyes at 40" you cannot tell the difference.
Since my eyes work so well still, I can tell.

The are many tiny 12 volt TV's, but why would you want one on a 54' sailboat? I thought those all came with a pop-up tv from the factory?

·
2,448 Posts
Is this for use mostly in a marina or will you be anchored out while cruising?

You've got a big boat, so I'll assume the TV won't be a huge strain on your house bank. But if you're looking at 3D smart TVs you have to consider the speed of your internet connection.

Any marina I've been in has had slow, spotty wifi (if they have it at all). I usually use my cell phone as a hot spot for web browsing, but you'll max out your data plan pretty quickly streaming Netflix, Hulu or HBOGO. To really utilize this setup you'd need a cable internet connection at the dock and a router.

Open wifi is getting as rare as hens teeth. Even if you find open wifi you can trust you may have trouble streaming video. I love our Samsung smart TV, but if I was going to upgrade our boat tv I'd go with a standard LED and save the $$. I doubt I'd even go the 3D route. It's pretty cool, but there's just not a lot of 3D programming.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is this for use mostly in a marina or will you be anchored out while cruising?

You've got a big boat, so I'll assume the TV won't be a huge strain on your house bank. But if you're looking at 3D smart TVs you have to consider the speed of your internet connection.

Any marina I've been in has had slow, spotty wifi (if they have it at all). I usually use my cell phone as a hot spot for web browsing, but you'll max out your data plan pretty quickly streaming Netflix, Hulu or HBOGO. To really utilize this setup you'd need a cable internet connection at the dock and a router.

Open wifi is getting as rare as hens teeth. Even if you find open wifi you can trust you may have trouble streaming video. I love our Samsung smart TV, but if I was going to upgrade our boat tv I'd go with a standard LED and save the $$. I doubt I'd even go the 3D route. It's pretty cool, but there's just not a lot of 3D programming.
It will be used while anchored out, and while on passages. It will be connected to my PC, my PC contains about 600 movies, and 1200 show episodes. We pull form those, and as there are not many movies that are new, and good, I don't see this being a limit. 30% of our movies are in 1080P, the rest are in 720P. While at the docks I do watch a lot of youtube, and I take classes online. We will be docking about 1 time a month for water, provisions, and youtube uploads. This will be when we use the net to its full potential.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, does this mean that with the advent of wall-mounted flat screen home theaters, boats now have "walls", instead of "bulkheads" ?

:)
It took me 3 months to stop calling lines ropes, and rigging cables.
not sure how long until I stop saying back, wall, ceiling, and stop calling our genoa a jib.
:laugher

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Are you going to gimbal it on the wall or just hang it from the ceiling? Bet if you mounted it on a pedestal in the middle of the room and spun it at about 60 hertz it could be viewed from all seats.Ha, maybe I'm on to something here.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
"We are planning about a 40-55" TV for our salon wall."

The only time there are walls on a boat, is when the boat has been cut up and used as a planter in front of a restaurant. Says so right in Chapman's.

3D may be the new Betamax and 4K prices may plummet, even if 4K gets adopted for anything. You won't find it over the air--and there's lots of good HD tv over the air--and you won't find it on BluRay either. Which leaves you some expensive cable packages if you can find them, doesn't it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My only recommendation; try to avoid cutting into the bulkhead with this kind of job. Mounting a TV on the bulkhead is fine, mounting one in the bulkhead not so much.

I've seen a lot of boats where tvs are recessed into bulkheads, making reversal of the modification difficult.

This is probably less relevant these days because new LEDs are so skinny anyway, recessing one into a bulkhead would make little difference.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
3D may be the new Betamax and 4K prices may plummet, even if 4K gets adopted for anything. You won't find it over the air--and there's lots of good HD tv over the air--and you won't find it on BluRay either. Which leaves you some expensive cable packages if you can find them, doesn't it?
4K will come to blueray. they can do 4 layer disks. 100gb is enough for about 4 hours of 4K if I remember correctly. ( depends on compression.) 3d may go away again.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My only recommendation; try to avoid cutting into the bulkhead with this kind of job. Mounting a TV on the bulkhead is fine, mounting one in the bulkhead not so much.

I've seen a lot of boats where tvs are recessed into bulkheads, making reversal of the modification difficult.

This is probably less relevant these days because new LEDs are so skinny anyway, recessing one into a bulkhead would make little difference.
Right, they are 10MM. the wall mount may turn out thickest, But I am thinking of screwing it in from the other side of the WALL.:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is the wallmount (bulkheadmount?) that I'm using:
Amazon.com: VideoSecu Low Profile Ultra Slim 1" profile TV Wall Mount for most 27"-47" LCD LED Plasma TV, Some up to 55" Flat Panel Screen Display with VESA 100x100 to 400x400 1RX: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41A2xEGRDmL

The front edge of the TV is 2 7/8 inches from the bulkhead, exactly matching the Vizio speaker bar. We can sit comfortably in the salon seat without touching the back of our head on the TV.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.