SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have been sailing with our local club in Toronto for several years. I passed my intermediate course. We know what we want in our first boat.

We want a MacGregor 26 - because we want it
- big enough to overnight in, and
- trailerable, because we will get bored of Toronto harbours quickly.
We like the "sailing lifestyle" just as much as we like sailing. (We're not sailing purists by any means.)

I'm looking at Macs but nothing is less than 15K, and many are waaay more expensive. I guess our budget may be unrealistic.

I keep turning up 25s, but they're just too small. Those are day sailers. But I don't know, maybe our first boat will be a 25-footer for about $5K.

I've been researching how to assess a boat and, of course, will get a pro surveyor.

I see the cost of a boat drops when it is 25+ years old. That's because of the insurance right? Should I be concerned about this? Avoid them?

How are the older 26' Macs? Anything I should know?

Additionally, I have only just begun to look into all the operating costs - in-water mooring vs. dry sailing, club fees, over-winter fees, upkeep fees, etc.

I guess I'm just looking for general advice, maybe the kind that says 'you can do it!!' ;)

·
Registered
994 Posts
You might look into a 26S or a 26X... depends on how fast you want to go... ">

I have a 1988 26D.. the PO kept it in GREAT SHAPE>.... nevertheless... I wanted to do some mods and change some things - when I got it....

Trailer condition is important...

You might want a new - or nearly new motor... 9.9 hp...

I HIGHLY recommend the 26D, 26S or 26X - in corresponding increased cost...

For us - the budget was about 6K for the boat, 2K for a motor, 700 on bottom job/paint.. 500 on Bimini, and about 2.5K on misc items... so We can take our boat out on lakes and the ocean - and feel reasonably secure..

there are always misc items to get... If you spend ALL your budget on the boat - then there is NOTHING left to fit it out and get read to go...

there are folks with 26S's locally - perhaps you could contact them and go out, first!!!

--jr

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might look into a 26S or a 26X... depends on how fast you want to go... ">
I've been advised there's little point in looking at an X if it doesn't have a 50HP. It would be good to get a 50, nice to know we can get back to the marina if the skies start to darken.

Trailer condition is important...
Not sure what to look for in a trailer. Chekced one out over the weekend. Seemed OK except it was riddled with small rust spots.

Also, reeaaally not sure what my poor car can tow. Chrysler 300M (older model). Manual has tow limit way too low for any but the smallest boats.

I HIGHLY recommend the 26D, 26S or 26X - in corresponding increased cost...
I've been wondering about the smaller D's and S's. I'd think their cabins are too small for our liking but I guess I can check them out. This one I looked at over the weekend was a Mac 25' Venture. It was defintiely too small.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
"Also, reeaaally not sure what my poor car can tow. Chrysler 300M (older model). Manual has tow limit way too low for any but the smallest boats."

The car is going to be a big issue If you want a trailer sailboat over about 20'

I Tow a Power and sailboat and tow ratings include everything inside the car like people and stuff.

To be honest 3500# to 4000# gives a V-6 Silverado a workout even with its 5000# tow rating with stoping being the BIG issue

·
Registered
994 Posts
Go try....

The 25 is a bit small - in a lot of respects... (we have one)... but the 26 has a LOT of improvement in this area....

I suggest just trying it - with someone who has "fixed up" their boat for weekend or week long cruising... this is, as you mentioned - what you plan to do...

I would not "dis" the X - without at least first giving it a go through... It might be more to your liking.... I do understand that if you are on a boat that CAN go fast with a 50 or more motor - that it would SEEM to be a bad idea not to have one... but a 25 hp will move you along pretty good...

to give a sense of things... A 4 hp motor on the 26D will get me to hull speed...

The 26S has the retractable keel... for lake boating - that is a very good thing... the 26D has the daggerboard - just a different approach...

I suggest you just try them out..... Transport (trailer) weight is not that bad for any of the 26s... the water ballast makes it much lighter than the 25's metal swing keel... much lighter....

-jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts