SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I own a teeny 12.5 ft daysailer (O'day Widgeon) and have taken an ASA101 course just a few months ago. So far, I've only been on ponds and lakes. I live in northern DE and am looking for opinions on where my first Chesapeake experience should be. I'm considering:

Havre De Grace / Flats area
Susquehana State Park / Susquehana River
North East, MD
Charlestown, MD
Hack Point / Bohemia River
Fredericktown / Sassafrass River

Which of these would be best/easiest for a novice sailor like me in a 12.5 boat with just a few months of experience? I have a electric trolling motor so I have a little bit of ability to motor in and out of harbors.

Thanks!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Take a class with one of the many bay sailing schools. Maryland school of sailing is good, Annapolis sailing school is another. If you are single join the Singles on sailboats, Great spring training and you can sail on other peoples boats. They have weekly and weekend sails. Check them out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I already took an ASA101 course, but up in Philadelphia where it was a bit less expensive. Tight budget, you know. I haven't heard about SOS, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
93 Posts
been there done that

Spent 10 years sailing all of those places in a sunfish. Having a trolling motor is a big advantage. I used to only have a paddle for when the wind died. I used to leave from elkview shore on the eastern shore opposite turkey point. hacks point would be a good place to get you feet wet however you have to watch out for a lot of motor boat traffic on the weekends especially water skiers. I am guessing northeast would probably probably have less motorboat traffic. be careful of the flats northeast of harve de gras. At low it gets so low some sections the rocks are exposed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts