SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some gave me an astrolab. Does anyone know of any good sites that explain how to use it.

I need something to keep me busy during the cold unsailable months.

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
The Astrolab and the Quarter-staff has one minor fault. You have to look at the sun when lining up the pins. Try using the pins shadows to line them up instead. Then you will get your angular measurement.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Do you know how to use a sextant already? If not, learn that instead. Far more useful a tool IMHO.
Some gave me an astrolab. Does anyone know of any good sites that explain how to use it.

I need something to keep me busy during the cold unsailable months.

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
801 Posts
trade in for a GPS and an inflatable doll....

The doll to keep you busy..the GPS so you don't get lost when you close your eyes using the doll.....
I know Giu is kiddin', but seriously some days I wonder why I bother reading some of this stuff.

Try this link: Examples

That will give you a start - but only a start.

Here's the home page: Astrolabes

I'd also suggest a decent book on astronomy as well since it's use requires you have some basic understanding of the motion of stars, the sun and planets... (ok, well, sun and stars mostly).

But, what do I know....

·
Registered
28 Posts
tell us about your astro? is it brass, wood, or plastic? home made or antique? They are pretty cool little tools. I have seen a compter simulator by James Morrison that is pretty neat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts