SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Want to Restore a Sailboat?

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  captainmurph 
#1 ·
I need some help restoring my sailboat. If you are near Annapolis and can donate your time, supplies, and use your own tools, I will let you help.

Please only respond if you are offering to help. Include a list of 3 references.

#2 · (Edited)
What is it that is needed here?

Catrigged,

Hmmm what kind of boat, how old, how big, what needs to be done? Do you have expertise so someone will learn something while donating their time, supplies and tool use to your project?:confused:

I think maybe you should give some more detail on what is going on here and what you are looking for...

JHJ

#4 ·
What type, size and age of your vessel....not you!

Cat,

I meant how old is the boat, what type and size....not you! :rolleyes:

My point is you might get more interest if you told a bit about your vessel and your own backgound and experience in taking on such a project.

It could be you are offering an experiience which might be of value to someone that is all I meant. Tell folks what they will learn. If is is a classic old wooden catboat for instance... do you need help steaming in new ribs etc.:)

JHJ

#5 · (Edited)
So, basically, you're looking for a handout of time, supplies and tools and labor.... but aren't offering anything in return... yeah, lots of people are just going to jump on that opportunity...

JHJensen-

Not to be too cynical, but if he had skills to teach anyone anything about boat restoration, he'd probably have the tools and materials to restore his own boat...

AFAICT, he's just looking to find a sucker that is willing to donate TIME SUPPLIES, THE USE OF THEIR OWN TOOLS AND THEIR LABOR-since that's what the OP says...and it isn't enough that they're willing to donate their supplies, time, tools and labor, but he needs REFERENCES as well... Most likely, he needs their knowledge as well.

Sounds like a very choosy beggar...

#6 ·
Awww Dog now you went and ruined my fun.....

So, basically, you're looking for a handout of time, supplies and tools and labor.... but aren't offering anything in return... yeah, lots of people are just going to jump on that opportunity...

JHJensen-

Not to be too cynical, but if he had skills to teach anyone anything about boat restoration, he'd probably have the tools and materials to restore his own boat...

AFAICT, he's just looking to find a sucker that is willing to donate TIME SUPPLIES, THE USE OF THEIR OWN TOOLS AND THEIR LABOR-since that's what the OP says...and it isn't enough that they're willing to donate their supplies, time, tools and labor, but he needs REFERENCES as well... Most likely, he needs their knowledge as well.

Sounds like a very choosy beggar...
SD
I agree with you but I was kind of curious...seems like those crew wanted ads we see all the time...besides you are so much better in the comment area..I knew you would be along with right amount of spice for the situation. :D

Wonder if it will get in the water this summer or not....:rolleyes:

I still want to know about the boat though...not the owner:eek:

Jhj

PS...Dawg will you be a reference for me...:p

#10 ·
:pukeLots of people got rich on the stupidity of the American public...look at pet rocks... :)

However, it is one thing to ask for help...when asking for help, you generally can't be too picky about what help you receive... but this guy not only wants you to help him but:

You have to bring your own tools-this isn't too unreasonable... I personally prefer bringing my own tools if I'm going to help someone, since I can't always be sure they'll have the right tools on hand.

You have to supply the materials to repair HIS BOAT-WTF, umm... it is awfully generous to be helping out in the first place, but you have to bring materials and supplies with you??? Now, I might do this if it were a friend of mine... since, they're probably going to reciprocate at some point-but for someone I don't know from Adam to ask this... that's pretty obnoxious.

And, he wants references... apparently, your good will, free supplies, labor and use of tools isn't good enough by itself-you have to have and supply THREE REFERENCES??? :puke

Then, on top of it all, he doesn't say what kind of boat he has, or what is wrong with it... so, are you supposed to show up with a tractor trailer fitted out as a mobile marine repair yard??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

#12 ·
You're a bit more reasonable than the OP... apparently, you're at least supplying the tools, and not asking for materials or references... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.