·
Master Mariner
8,685 Posts
oh yes....paradise

Youtube - The Real Castaway

Micronesia in the South Pacific baby

who would do it?

discuss the pros and cons
Micronesia gets a lot of typhoons. That's a really, really big hurricane, if you didn't know. Before you run away to your island paradise, perhaps you might want to read, An Island to Oneself by Tom Neale, a man who HAS gone before.

·
Life is a wild ride!
410 Posts
That video really shows how dreams rarely culminate into the reality you expect. A good lesson to learn.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Tom Neale's island, Suvarov, is now a national park. Can't imagine living there based on a two week visit. It also gets cyclones and the highest point on the island might be 18" above sea level. Nice place to visit, etc.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
A young couple in Victoria a few years ago wanted to get away from our crazy quick lifestyle. No boat so they immigrated to a peaceful southern island they'd heard about. That was just before the Falkland invasion. Goes to show life gets more interesting when you act on your dreams

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
I've always daydreamed about living alone, anchored off some desert island with perfect surf. I would have to take frequent trips back to civilization though, but for a month or two here and there I would love to. Shower in a waterfall. Picking fruit, fishing, sunbathing, surfing. Reading books, and taking pictures. I just wouldn't want to forever. Basically I need to find my island and go back and forth.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
North, as a rule desert islands don't have waterfalls. Try to keep your dreams better organized. :)

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Ill be waiting for the invitations...

thanks

jajajaja

·
2,449 Posts
If there's no beachside bar it's too deserted for me :laugher

Reactions: Minnesail

·
Registered
74 Posts
There was a great episode of the Andy Griffith show where Howard chucks life in stressful Mayberry to live on a South Pacific desert island. When he arrives he walks into the local general store and sees a few old men with long beards mumbling to each other on the bench. He asks the store manager and realizes that the men have only lived on the island for a few weeks. This is what happens to you dreamers out there who want to live on an island but don't have a plan to keep your minds active. You should try to find that episode and watch it. It will change your mind.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
That is a whole (tiny) country, Tuvalu. There are lots of interesting little islands in the world but they are far from deserted. If an island can support a population it does. My favourite escape island is Mangareva in southeastern French Polynesia. It is idyllic with a pace that is incredibly slow, but it does have a population of about 1500. This means that there is a supply ship and air flights (3 in every two weeks if I remember correctly).

·
Administrator
7,204 Posts
One book thats important to read before a Pacific 'dream' cruise is Pamela Stepensons Treasure Islands: Sailing the South Seas in the Wake of Fanny and Robert Louis Stevenson
Treasure Islands - Pamela Stephenson - Google Books

Its an absolute "what NOT to do" book. She makes every mistake under the sun from page 1 and the buying of the wrong (but big) boat.

Some of the things she poinited out was that even she (big UK TV star) couldnt get permission to get on many islands. And some she did get on the boat and crew had to remain at sea while she did her visit and kava drinking.

Its great to read but this sort of review is entirely correct:
Gives the impression that Pamela's own crew want to kill her, which is not too surprising...
As Killarney and Don say, if its uninhabited theres a reason.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts