SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a Beneteau First 285 and she needs a new mast, rigging & sails. Does anyone know where can I buy a used mast? I don't want to spend that kind of money buying a new one.

I would appriciate any information

Thanks

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
this must be a heck of a deal. I used to own B285. It is a nice enough boat, but there are so many to chose from out there and prices are not particularly high. Why go for one that has no mast?

Chances of finding a used mast that fits that one specific boat are fairly slim. It's got to be a mast from another 285 and presumably they are all attached to respective boats.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think its a good deal! A 1988 First 285 for 4K. I have seen these boats listed for 24K and this one looks in great shape except for the mast and rigging & sails.
The owner told me that he was sailing in 20 knots winds and the mast just broke in half. Strange but I heard that before.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Caveat emptor

I think its a good deal! A 1988 First 285 for 4K. I have seen these boats listed for 24K and this one looks in great shape except for the mast and rigging & sails.
The owner told me that he was sailing in 20 knots winds and the mast just broke in half. Strange but I heard that before.
That sure is a low price for a 285 if it's in otherwise good condition. How's the engine? I wonder why the owner didn't just make an insurance claim and have the boat properly repaired? Make sure you get a competent surveyor to inspect the entire vessel.

Depending on where you are located, your best bet might be to contact a spar builder and just get a new one made. One thing to be aware of is that the 285s had standard and tall rigs.

Not sure how this particular boat is set-up, but if I were looking for a B285, I'd prefer the configuration with the fin keel, and the traveller mounted on the bridgedeck (rather than over the companionway hatch.)

Also, inspect the interior headliner -- particularly in the head and aft cabin. It had a tendency to fail and it's a pretty big/messy job to remove and replace it.

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Yep, that boat was no fun in 20 knots.
As a point of comparison - new mast costs about 10K. Rigging and other "stuff" that goes on it - at least 5-6K and then labor (unless you plan to do it yourself). So, a full new set of spar and rigging on a boat would cost over 20K. A new mainsail is at least $1000 (that's very cheap, likely twice as much) and same for new genoa.

I understand that mast broke in half - but why wasn't it repaired? And what happened to the rest of the rigging and sails, did they break in half too? :)

Personally, I'd be very suspect of any "deal" of that kind, but that may be just me.

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Is it this one? 1988 Beneteau First 285 without mast and sails:eBay Motors (item 140339659124 end time Aug-20-09 13:44:20 PDT)

Actually does not look bad at all, so I suppose if you want to invest in a new spar - it may turn out to be a reasonable deal if you are willing to invest into it.

It is a fin keel, which is good for sailing (but deep draft), and liner looks to be still "mostly" attached, not as bad as it can get yet :)

However, it isn't a fact that it will close at 4K. Since there are two more days left, and price is now up to $3200 I would expect it to close at at least twice that and perhaps as high as 8-9K (my guess, we'll see where it ends up)

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
The LOW price i found for a compleat boat was 20k with a Volvo diesel which may be its own issue :)
AFAIK, all Beneteau 285 had Volvo diesel as originally equipped. I didn't care much for it, but it's hard to find any other engine for that boat unless it was re-powered.

Selling prices for these boats (back when I bought and sold mine) ranged from 15K to 22K depending on condition (asking prices differ, as always but no verifiable sales occurred at above 22K in recent past prior to that).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to personally visit the boat this weekend. If I lke what I see then I will bring a surveyor.

The boat was listed on Craigs List at 4K but he has it on ebay as well. Lets hope if the boat is in good condition it won't go much higher then 3200.

Thanks everyone for the input.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brak

the mast broke in half and the guy told me that he was by himself on the boat when it happend so he cut everything loose and now all of it is at the bottom of the sound., about 80ft deep. He said that if he went thru that again he would know what to do but at the time he sort of panicked (as he said) and just did the first thing he thought of.

Also thereason why he isn't fixing it is becasue something to do with the insurance.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,838 Posts
My suggestion is two fold, First of all there a number of large marine salvagers that you should be able to find on line. I would contact them to see if they auctioned off a 285 that had rigging lately. Many of these boats are stripped for parts and perhaps with a whole lot of luck someone has a mast and rig to sell you.

Plan 'b' and probably the one that I would start with, is that in my experience Beneteau has an extremely good customer service policy. I would contact them in South Carolina and tell them of your plight. They may be able to help you. In my experence I was involved in a situation where an expensive part had failed on a 15 year old boat and they sold the owner the part at roughly 2/3 the list price and much less than we could have bought it anywhere.

My last comment is that boats like this can actually gave negative values, meaning that they will cost way more to make right than you could buy a similar or better condition sistership and way more than they will ever be worth. I am not sure this is that case but it easily could be.

Good luck,
Jeff

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
<table border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>If one goes to usspars.com, you can get all the parts and pieces from them, as they were probably the original speced manufacture, or the parent company in France Z-spar. I broke a boom on my mid 80s Jeanneau Arcadia, and it was all of about $600 including shipping from Fl to Seattle. Talk about as far as it can be with in the US lower 48 to ship!

Here is they list of sections etc off there web page

Marty

Boat information

<hr width="90%" align="left"> Sections for Your Boat

Your First 285 uses the following US Spars' section numbers for its parts. You may click a section number to see a diagram for the part. Using the diagram, you can identify which item it is that you need.
<table border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr> <td>Conventional Section Number</td> <td>Z351</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Furling Section Number</td> <td>Z400e</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Boom Section Number</td> <td>Z204 / Z204e</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Vang Section Number</td> <td>Small</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Spinnaker Pole Section Number</td> <td>57mm</td></tr></tbody></table>
</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Wow, that boat sold only for $3250? Now that is a *deal*. I should have bid on it. Even with an all new mast installed professionally it still is cheaper than what they normally go for.

Spartacus - if you are the buyer, congratulations :) This is a nice little boat, not perfect, sure - but very much fun nevertheless!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts