SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
gts1544
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WANTED: SHORT NOTICE COASTAL CRUISER ADVENTURERS

Forum Members: Feel free to weigh in if you feel that the following is fraught with potential pitfalls!

I have purchased, sight unseen, except for some pictures, a 1978 Catalina 25’ fixed keel sloop day sailor from a gentleman, who is a defense industry professional. The boat has a Garmin chart plotter, a Raymarine tiller pilot & an outboard engine. She will be equipped with a Porti-Potti, a cooler and a propane camp stove, not palatial by any stretch. She has no dodger, no bimini and the water system has not been used in years. My original intent was to sail her from Harve de Grace, MD (upper Chesapeake) down through the Chesapeake, stopping along the way, to the AICW at Norfolk. There I would enter the AICW and motor sail her to Hampstead, NC , just north of Wilmington, about mile 270 of AICW (starting at 0 at Norfolk). Events have precluded that from happening, so that Plan B was to pick her up with a trailer and drive her south, which is still viable.
Then I got to thinking (always dangerous) that perhaps there were some adventurous folks out there who would enjoy doing the same thing this time of the year. THIS IS NOT A PAID DELIVERY! I am offering a found boat for a coastal cruise, free of charge, from the northern Chesapeake, down the entire bay and south on the AICW, for the two to three weeks required for a laid back trip. Any interested parties would be expected to cover their own transportation, food and expenses. References and modest coastal sailing resume required.
Please understand that this is not a commitment, rather a inquiry for an expression of interest, with a time frame of late October through about November 15. I apologize for the short notice and I realize that it will limit the number of people who might be able to take advantage of my offer. I would meet the party at the boat in Harve de Grace, MD, supply them with the necessary paperwork for the trip, meet the boat in Hampstead, NC, and anything else agreed upon. The navigational data is contained within the Garmin chart plotter and I will supply paper charts, if needed.
If interested, please send me a Private Message and we will exchange information and brainstorm.

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
I would think you, or anyone else, would want some period of time to shake down the boat before making a trip like that, since it appears that boat hasn't been in the water in a while.

·
gts1544
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
azguy, Good point! I omitted to point out that the boat has a fresh coat of bottom paint and has been in the water and used all season. George

1 - 3 of 3 Posts